Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 No return from PayPal- a fix- sorta
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - November 27 2006 :  06:16:31  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the most annoying problems we encounter happens when a customer pays at PayPal but does not return to the merchant's site. This bypasses shopthanks.asp, which does a lot of tasks needed to complete an order- like sending notifications to buyer and seller, adjusting product stock levels, etc.
There's no way to force the customer to return but we can simulate his/her return by calling shopthanks.asp with the appropriate Order number:
<someurl>/vpasp/shopthanks.asp?oid=<some order number>
To do this, edit shopthanks.asp:
Around line 69, find these lines:
if ordernumber="" then
'ordernumber=Request("oid")
If ordernumber="" then
shoperror getlang("langShopThanks03")
end if
end if
Replace them with these:
if ordernumber="" then
ordernumber=Request("oid")
If ordernumber="" then
shoperror getlang("LangFormatNone") & " " & ordernumber 'report error and exit
end if
if not isnumeric(ordernumber) then
end if
CheckexistingOrder rc 'make sure it's in the orders table and not processed
if rc=3 then 'already processed
shoperror getlang("langShopThanks03") & " " & ordernumber 'report error and exit
end if
if rc=4 then 'not in order table
end if
end if
Add this subroutine near the bottom of the file:
'***********************************************************************
' Make sure order exists and oprocessed is not true
' if yes rc=0 else if not present rc=4 else if processed rc=3
'********************************************************************
Sub CheckexistingOrder (rc)
dim rs, sql, dbc
openorderdb dbc
sql ="select * from orders where orderid=" & ordernumber
set rs=dbc.execute(sql)
if rs.eof then 'does not exist
rc=4
else
If ucase(rs("oprocessed")) ="TRUE" then 'order has been processed
rc=3
else
rc=0
end if
end if
rs.close
set rs=nothing
shopclosedatabase dbc
end sub
Now, when you receive a payment notice from PayPal but no order email, point your browser to <your VP-ASP URL>/shopthanks.asp?oid=<order number>. The process will complete and you will see the receipt page the customer would have seen- had he/she returned!
I have also written a script that can only be called within the admin panel that does the same thing. Be aware that anyone can call shopthanks.asp until you mark the order processed!
Don't use the brackets in the sample URL's above. Here's an example:
http://www.somesite.com/vpasp/shopthanks.asp?oid=123
As always, comments are encouraged.
Dan Dotson

Edited by - dandlyin on November 28 2006 16:19:46

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  17:40:48  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently this has been driving me crazy - I look forward to trying to implement this 'fix' tonight and see if I can't get it to work.

If I get 3 paypal orders, at least 1 of the customers does NOT return to the site - forcing me to manually adjust all the product inventory on their order. groan.

Much appreciated - will come back in a few days with how it's working out.

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackerscomics.com
thecomicstore.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  17:45:23  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

After working with Dan on this we have implemented in a sandbox version of vpasp600. Are you using 600 or an earlier release?

If 600 we can forward the files so you can do it from within the admin securely.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  19:18:03  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam -
I'm running version 5.5, and have made so many custom changes now, including stuff you helped with - that I can no longer upgrade to the new versions without loosing too much work.
I implemented Dans changes and it worked like a charm! I tested it with another PAYPAL account I have and was surprised to find it work on the first attempt (almost nothing ever does).

Thanks so much Dan!

--John Robinson
grahamcrackers.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  19:30:53  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does work a treat.

Glad to hear it helps out and another thanks to Dan for the code.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  20:04:10  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As always I spoke to soon. A few minutes later I got a genuine 'can't be bothered to return to site PAYPAL payment' so I ran the link

and got the following error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01f4'

Variable is undefined: 'CheckexistingOrder'

/xxxxxxxx/shopthanks.asp, line 76

Why would it work the first time, but not this 2nd time??

I double checked my e-mail box, this customer never properly 'finished' by returning to the site, just like when I tried.

line 76 reads:
CheckexistingOrder rc 'make sure it's in the orders table and not processed

thanks

--John
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  22:07:06  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tried moving the ending code a little further up on the shopthanks.asp, and that seems to have done the trick.
I've sadly had 2 PAYPAL orders that both didn't bother returning to the site after purchasing so I was able to test it effectively.

Again, thanks very much - this will be a big time saver for me in the very near future.

--John Robinson
thecomicstore.com
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - December 05 2006 :  04:19:06  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it was of use to you. I have had many occasions to use it as well but the version that runs within the admin panel is an improvement. Unfortunately, I only have v6.0 and can't suggest a similar tool for older versions.
Regards,
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page

seroomnz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - September 02 2007 :  22:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a message for support.

I have just connected paypal for customer. And tested it. The reason customers do not return to the website is because the wording is all wrong on the paypal final screen.

Instead of the button saying < Click here to return to the so 'n' so website > which the customer may not be interested in doing, it should read < Click here to complete your order > which the customer will definately be interested in doing.

Is there not a better Gateway to include by default other than PayPal.

Cheers

Edited by - seroomnz on September 02 2007 22:52:55
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 02 2007 :  23:31:45  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

PayPal is the most used gateway and while not perfect is a great solution for a small business getting started.

If you have a suggestion of another gateway which can be used in almost any country in the world we will be happy to have a look.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

seroomnz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - September 03 2007 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

PayPal is the most used gateway and while not perfect is a great solution for a small business getting started.

That being the case why can Paypal not add an option so that the buyer is automatically returned to the website of origin, so the website of origin can complete the order process and send out it's emails etc (as in the case of VPASP) rather than relying on the buyer randomly clicking on a button, because the buyer may not be interested in returning to the website.

This is why I am suggesting the button could be worded better in order to require the buyer to click the button, as suggested <click here to complete your order>.

Another thing, why is there no easy Demo mode for Paypal such as with 2Checkout. For example 2CO and PAYPRO have easy demo modes and also return the buyer straight back to the website of origin where the website then records the verification and sends out emails.

Sorry to sound like I am griping but if Paypal is the most used Gatway then I would have thought these sort of basic issues would be sorted.

Edited by - seroomnz on September 03 2007 15:55:47
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 03 2007 :  16:05:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as far as I know, if you use paypal ipn/pro then you don't need the user to physically return to the site; I thought it was only basic paypal that still had the "must return to site to flag as complete" aspect? (if I'm wrong in that assumption, I hope someone'll correct me!)

I wouldn't personally want to use paypal basic as it's way too hackable, so I'd either go for paypal ipn/pro, or a different gateway altogether. I won't explain how it can be hacked for obvious reasons, but I managed to change a transaction when testing purely by accident so it can't be that hard. Paypal pro/ipn doesn't have all those gaping hacker gaps in it, and is just like a "proper" gateway.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 03 2007 16:11:42
Go to Top of Page

seroomnz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - September 03 2007 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, I'll look into that.
Go to Top of Page

nadeem
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - September 06 2007 :  14:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan Dotson,

Do you have script to implement in Admin area? I use Version 6.5.

Thanks for your help.

Nadeem
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 06 2007 :  17:44:56  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Nadeem,

We liked Dan's solution so much we included it in version 650. You can access this feature from within the Order detail page.

It allows you to close an order by sending the emails to both merchant and customer and also update stock levels and other features that require the user to return to the final invoice page after payment.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

seroomnz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - October 09 2007 :  23:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

We liked Dan's solution so much we included it in version 650. You can access this feature from within the Order detail page.

It allows you to close an order by sending the emails to both merchant and customer and also update stock levels and other features that require the user to return to the final invoice page after payment.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support

Hi Cam
How does one do this is in the admin area. IE what is the process?
Steve
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00