Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Orderable multiple skus per product
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - September 29 2006 :  08:40:48  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am interested in how one would have orderable multiple SKUS per product.

For example.

Product: Book
Title: ASP Made Easy with VPASP - Make a Billion Dollars

1 ORDER | PRICE: US$14.95 - Hard Cover
1 ORDER | PRICE: US$11.95 - Paperback
1 ORDER | PRICE: US$11234.95 - Sign Edition

The user would then order one of the ones above.

In most maufacturer DBs the SKUS are a many-to-one relationship to the PRODUCTS - this way one can have a billion products and you do not add fields to the db as thier is a SKU table. Luckly my situation is that I have 3 books at the most as SKUS. How does one make this happen in VPASP? Orderable multiple skus per product.

thanks,

Paul

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - September 30 2006 :  15:51:39  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
figured it out thought it makes for redundancy in data if you ask me...

products and subproducts

http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=598&cat=Inventory Products
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 30 2006 :  15:56:17  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you can use features too I think; there's some kind of option which'll generate the sku depending on the product+feature combination, but I'm not sure of the details.
cross-selling is another way which more-or-less mimics the inventory aspect.
it does make for a lot of duplication if using separate products (as opposed to features), but in my personal view I'd rather have duplication of data and be able to separate out the products for stock/reporting/display/tweaking etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - October 02 2006 :  13:52:59  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is poor data modeling. This concept of dealing with additional content by simply added fields and duplicating records is lame. My opinion. I am writing a full critique of the VP ASP system.
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - October 02 2006 :  18:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It work for me as my product have lot of differnt detail.

Not sure what problem is though. Dont you just create new record for differenet sku anyway like what you saying you want?

Scoota!
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 02 2006 :  18:19:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

With VP-ASP you can set a single parent product and then attach an unlimited number of child products to that parent.

In each of the child products you can have a unique SKU, retain stock control functionality and configure the different options for each child product so you could have your hard cover, paperback, sign edition books and so on very simply.

Our solution is designed to meet the needs of a very wide audience however so some specific requirements may not be met.

If you have an alternative way of doing this it would be interesting to hear how it can be done. We spent a while working on the most user friendly, and generic solution but we certainly admit there may be better ways of approaching it.

Let us know how you go.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00