Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Product Attachments (PDF)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webboy
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - September 26 2006 :  23:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

Can products have attachments like PDF??
Has nayone used Eway as their gateway....any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

webboy

Built for the future

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 27 2006 :  00:16:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Webboy,

You certainly can have PDF files as attachments using VPASP.

We have a FAQ on Digital Downloads at:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_digitaldelivery.htm

We ourselves use Eway as our payment gateway as well so we can vouch that they are both supported and are reliable.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

webboy
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - September 27 2006 :  00:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't clarify myself properly...my fault.

What i want to do is add extra information to the product in the form of attachments.

Rather than clutter the page up with text.

webboy

Built for the future
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 27 2006 :  00:27:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, just insert the paths into some of the spare product fields like pother1 or pother2 and display the links that way in the extended page.

$ <a href="[pother1]">Download brochure</a>

The dollar symbol ensures nothing displays on that line if pother1 is empty in the database. It must be at the far left of the page.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

webboy
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - November 04 2006 :  15:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. How do i get the upload button to show for pother?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Built for the future
Go to Top of Page

webboy
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - November 04 2006 :  17:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks figured it out.but i have one more question.
If and how possible would it be to :
Add the file extension as as image
and the size of the file.

Any ideas i can do this with my own code but i need to know where i can extend vp-asp from.

e.g Filename Image Size

Thanks

Built for the future
Go to Top of Page

mikelane
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 25 2006 :  14:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I wanted to do exactly the same but your suggestion did not work for me.

I may have misunderstood but am i right in thinking the code $ <a href="[pother1]">Download brochure</a goes into the Other1 section under Other fields in the product setup?

That is where i have currently put it but nothing seems to appear on that products page.

Just to clarify, for me i would like to have 'Download CAD' and 'Download Instructions' buttons on the products pages with some easy way of uploading files to those links.

Appreciate the help

Mike
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 25 2006 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny, recent client just requested this additional work from us, and it's an easy edit.

This PDF link is most likely visible in the Product Details (aka extended description). So you are probably using templates, or at least the default template then.

Therefore, you'll first need to edit your TMP_PRODUCT.HTM file. That's where the line $ <a href="[pother1]">Download brochure</a goes. The dollar sign tells the cart software not to display that line if there is no value in the [pother1] field.

Given your code above, then in your Admin Console for that product, when you edit that product, you'd have to put the relative path and filename in the Other1 field.

If you feel your client may not remember to put the path in that Other1 field and you have a special folder just for those files, you could put that path in template code just in front of the [ ].

Example $ <a href="pdf-files/[pother1]">Download brochure</a

My client was FTP skilled so I didn't have to mess with an upload button for his PDF files.

Regards,

Eric in Maine

Edited by - elammers on November 25 2006 17:20:04
Go to Top of Page

mikelane
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  11:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elammers,

Thanks once again for the help, however i am struggling with this one a bit.

I completely understand everything you are saying apart from the $ <a href="[pother1]">Download brochure</a line.

I have opened tmp_product.htm as directed and am unsure as to where to paste the code. I have tried pasting it into several places but when saving the page it will literally just show $ <a href="images/[pother1]">Download brochure</a as text on the webpage, with no hyperlink to the pother file.

Appreciate the help
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  13:02:55  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are launching the TMP_PRODUCT.HTM file directly in your browser, then yes, you will see the dollar sign etc. But if you upload that TMP file to your site and the cart configuration is setup to use templates, then the cart will use it as it is intended, as a template. That means it will not display the dollar signs and will replace the [pother1] with the value of Other1 with that product, if it has a value.

Placement - anywhere you want . I just opened up the "out of the box" TMP-PRODUCT.HTM file and suggest you place your new line of code after line 26 just so you can see it working. That code is <br>[translate cdescription]. Also note that the code you and I were pasting all over had inadvertently left off the closing > sign.

Just to be sure, are you using the free version or a paid version? I've always used the middle or fully loaded versions and not sure how the free version handles templates, or if it even does.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

mikelane
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  16:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks a lot, got it now, don't know what i did wrong the first time (may have been the missing >) but it works great now, thanks again, much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  22:41:09  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We need to add more details here.

pother1 field is limited to 50 characters and cannot accommodate a URL longer than this limit. If you want to store URLs which are longer that 50 characters you can use pother4 field as it allows to store up to 255 characters.

Regards,
Michael

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

fflores
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - June 25 2009 :  17:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to have several PDF's or attachments listed per product? My products have on average about 6 pdf's each.

Thanks,
Frank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00