Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Shipping Method Selection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toddthomp
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  13:36:11  Show Profile  Visit toddthomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My current shop (v5.5) uses upsdbworld.asp as a fixed shipping method. This works well because I've been able to add rate tables for trucking and parcel post. This along with small tweaks to your code allows me hide UPS options and display trucking rates for shipments weighing more than 150 lbs. I also display parcel post as an option for certain destinations such as Alaska and Hawaii, but not other places. The problem with this is that calculations for drop shipments can have huge errors.

To resolve this problem I've begun working with the UPSrealtime module (v6.0). It works well, but displays an error when the shipping weight is greater than 150 lbs. In the near term I would like to automatically select the UPSrealtime for shipments less than 150 lbs and the UPSdatabase for shipments greater than 150 lbs. I was thinking a selection routine could be constructed and used as a fixed shipping method. This would minimize its impact on the rest of the program. My problem is that the limited amount of code documentation makes creating the "auto selection module" a bit of a challenge. Can you provide me with some assistance?

Future Work:

After resolving the selection issue I would like to improve the heavy freight calculation. I already have a working model that uses a table of zip code longitudes and latitudes to calculate distance. The distance is multiple with weight and a rate to arive at an amount. Also, minimum and maximum values are used and in some situations it will say "call for a shipping quote."

My other option is similar to UPS realtime. Freight companies such as ABF are providing online quotes. This system is more accurate, but would require much more work. My current thinking is that the simple distance and weight calculation is much more do able.

Thanks for listening...

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00