Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 search doesnt work after domain redirect
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baseline
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  04:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have recently redirected our www.baselinemarine.com domain address to our main hosted www.baselinemarine.co.uk address. If you enter our site using .co.uk everything works fine. If you enter from .com address (or any other forwarded address (included 301 redirect)), the vpasp search functions do not work. The best part is the search fails to works like this intermitently - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't maybe 1 out of 3 times. Help us - are tearing what hair we have left out! Is it a DNS issue? Does VPASP not send back search results to a page which is forwarded? Thanks.

jubjub
VP-CART New User

110 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  07:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to have a weird setup, you got like the whole page in a frame referencing a different URL- this might the issue?
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  08:02:23  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's the redirect method.

Some registrars/web hosts companies give you nifty tools to redirect and "hide" the actual destination domain. All they are doing is placing the destination domain in a whole screen frame. So in essence, your redirect has caused your .com site to suddenly be a "frames" site.

Remove the "hide" feature if possible or create your own meta tag redirect in an index.htm file for the .com site.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  09:13:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree; it looks like it's the frame aspect that's mucking it up.

In an ideal world, your urls/links would all be relative (which they are by default in vpasp), and then you'd set things up so that there's no redirection from one domain to the other (ie so people can browse the .co.uk or the .com domains using the same set of source files)

if it were me, I'd simply take out the redirection completely and just use relative links.

(unless there's a specific reason why people need to get redirected)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 08 2006 09:13:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000