Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 sql server express
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - June 27 2006 :  11:54:39  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious if vpasp is compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition or if it requires the paid versions of sql server.

Are there any limitations that would cause problems or anything else I should be aware of?

Partner/Designer: www.3Scrapateers.com
Digital Scrapbooking - Preserve your Memories!

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - June 28 2006 :  02:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't answer your specific question, but I'll chime in with the following:

The only reason to consider using SQL2005 is if you have very lengthy product descriptions. SQL2000 has a row limit of 8k, and this can be a limitation for some sites. But, SQL2005 has so many weird issues with VPASP that I would not recommend it. For example, every time a product is edited, certain fields that had info are blank and must be typed in again (cimageurl, extendedimage, cprice). So, it's a hassle to use 2005, at least at this point.

Maybe in time someone will figure out why there are quirks in what should be seamless backwards compatibility.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 28 2006 :  03:55:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we've found that too (ie sql2005 having some scary bugs where it blanks-out values in recordsets for no apparent reason; it's not a vpasp bug, but a generic sqlserver2005 problem)

we've also stumbled upon that same row-limit problem in sql2000.

whichever way you go, you might need to rejig your products table's columns a bit.

if it's any help, I think I'd go for sql2000 rather than sql2005 because the problems on sql2000 are much less; sql2005 acts pretty scarily in some intances. The sql2000 problems throw-up proper sql errors (eg "exceeded row limit") which stop the data from becoming corrupted, whereas sql2005 just blanks out the values without any warning.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - July 19 2006 :  15:29:28  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmmm...I can't seem to locate an "express" or free version of sql server 2000. I've read that vpasp has problems using the Access database if there are a lot of products, however, I haven't been able to find an answer as to what constitutes a LOT. We've currently got approximately 2000 products and this will continue to grow.

What would be my best course of action? Also, is there a free version of sql server 2000 that would work for me and if so, where do I find it? I've searched all over Microsoft's website and only come up with updates and the new 2005 versions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lianne

Go to Top of Page

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - July 21 2006 :  13:40:06  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can someone please help me on this one before I go any further with my installation?

Thanks in advance.
Lianne

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 21 2006 :  15:34:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Access databases usually start grinding to a halt when you get to around 40,000 records or so, but it depends on the kind of queries being done.
sqlserver does have the annoying record-size restriction/problem mentioned above.
both those are just general database problems (ie nothing to do with vpasp)
use sql2005 at your own risk I'd say; we've found really bad problems with it.
anyway; it's the host that should pay for sqlserver itself; you'd just pay for your monthly use of it.

2000 products isn't actually that many, even for an access database, so if I were in your shoes I'd just use Access, and upgrade to sqlserver later on if I ever found a problem.

one thing to note if you use access: make sure you flag these vpasp columns as "indexed (duplicates allowed)":
prodcategories.intcatalogid
prodcategories.intcategoryid

and that'll probably speed things up hugely.

vpasp have a free-available-upon-request copy script for copying data from access to sqlserver, so you can do that later on if you need to.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - July 22 2006 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you so very much for your answer. I really appreciate it more than you know. I'll just stick to the access database for a while and go from there.

Lianne

Go to Top of Page

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - September 11 2006 :  07:27:57  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok. I've searched and searched for MS SQL Server Express 2000 with no such luck. Come to find out the free version of MS SQL is called MSDE. Anyway - is this compatible with vpasp? And if so, are there any issues I should be aware of?

thanks,
Lianne

Edited by - femsawyer on September 11 2006 07:29:12
Go to Top of Page

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just throwing in my thoughts.

I was having problems with SQL Server 2005 as well. I've moved to MySQL and it's fine.
I also Navicat MysQL Server tools for any admin tools not inbuilt with VPASP back end.

regards,

jim mccann
Go to Top of Page

david.hirst
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - September 27 2006 :  02:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm just evaluating version 609 deluxe and wanted to give it a try with sql 2005 express as hosting with this db is much cheaper than with sql 2000 and I came across this thread. I'm only in the early stages of evaluating vpasp 609 (I haven't used vpasp recently though I did use it a couple or so of years ago to build a site so its all coming back to me pretty fast!). At present I've only got one category and one product in the database, but it isn't showing any signs of any of the "missing fields" problems (i.e. cimageurl, cprice) described previously when editing product records. I'm working locally with sql server 2005 express v9.0.1399. Are people with problems (e.g. rvaga & devshb) using another version of the db server?

femsawyer - I develop my e-commerce sites locally on my Windows XP Professional workstation; to this end I have both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 server installed. I use the developer versions of these databases which are official Microsoft products, though not particularly well advertised. They do virtually everything the full-blown versions do but with licensing restrictions (e.g. only for developing/testing databases) at a fraction of the price. SQL Server 2005 developer edition is available from Amazon UK for a little under £40. It includes all the free tools that can be downloaded separately. I find it invaluable. I bought the SQL 2000 version for a similar price bit I don't know if it is a current product any longer so may be harder to source although Amazon.com (USA) is listing it as available for around $20 - a bargain.

For now I'm going to continue evaluating vpasp 609 with sql server 2005 but I am prepared to hop over to SQL 2000 if I find any problems unacceptable. I would appreciate specific suggestions for anything else to look out for that may be troublesome.

Kind regards,

David.

Edited by - david.hirst on September 27 2006 02:24:17
Go to Top of Page

femsawyer
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - September 27 2006 :  05:19:13  Show Profile  Visit femsawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I ended up going with MySql instead - in a month, we had over 30,000 rows in the database and my store was so slow, it was virtually impossible to navigate (wow - did we lose money over the past couple of weeks).
I just did the MySql conversion yesterday - had to get a little help from support but it seems to be working now other than one of my add-ons - a crucial one (multiple downloads from byz)didn't convert with it. So, I've got support tickets in hoping to get that fixed so I can re-open today.
Browsing my store is wonderful now with mysql, but I haven't had the store open yet to see if there any other problems.
Sorry I didn't answer your questions - Wish you the best of luck.

Lianne

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00