Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Customer registration problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  02:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I posted this a few days ago on another section of the forum but had no reply so far...

My website is set to allow the visitors registration for actual customers only: you have to buy a product in order to be able to register. During the registration process, the user has also to chose a password (empty field not allowed). Duplicate registrations are forbidden too.

However, I am still having (from time to time) the following problems:

1). Users registering without making any purchase (and no notification sent to me, I just discover them incidentally while browsing the customer table). No cancelled order is recorded in the orders table.

2). Users registering twice (and therefore creating two table entries with different customer ID), the second time without having to enter a password.

3). Also, I noticed that when I just log out from the shop administration, then the vpasp pages are not displayed the way I designed them.

What should i do in order to prevent this to happen again ?

Thanks

bookseller

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 10 2008 :  22:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you got the duplicate customer issue resolved?
I am having the same issue.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  02:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm afraid that I will be unable to help you as I had no response in the forum and vp-asp helpdesk stated that the duplicate customer problem being not reproductible on a permanent basis, they could not help me.

So I have to handle with this error and regularly clean the database by removing the duplicate entries.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. If you ever happen to find a solution, I would be extremely interested to know about it. I'm on vp-asp 5.5.

Regards

Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  02:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted elsewhere yesterday that I was confused by the "Customer Service" options displayed after logging in as a registered customer - the "Customer Registration" option is displayed again, right after the customer has just registered. Since it's displayed above the "Change Address Details" option, it looks as though it's offering the customer the chance to update his/her registration details, and it made me think that my address details hadn't been stored correctly, and I actually created a duplicate record myself because it confused me when I was trying it out! I suggest that it should be removed, and my post asked whether there is a config option to do this.

Haven't had any replies yet but it's early days. However, I suspect that it will just be a matter of deleting the offending lines in the relevant asp module

Ade.
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  02:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with lewisar that the way login options are displayed before and after registration, or when a field is unproperly filled in as well, is extremely confusing. I'd be definitely interested in any indication, about how to modify the way these options display on the screen.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  07:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the absence of any other replies to this, I believe I have solved my problem by editing the file shopcustadmin.asp as below. If anyone can give me a good reason why I SHOULDN'T do this then please let me know! For instance is the SetUpMenus routine called anywhere else where it would make sense to show the "register" link?

In the routine SetUpMenus, I have deleted the line

AddMenuItem getlang("langMaillistSubject"),"shopcustregister.asp", getconfig("xAllowcustomerregister")

This removes the temptation for a logged in user to re-register themselves, and hopefully will stop multiple user registration records.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  07:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am adding a custom made products outside of vpasp and then submitting them to my cart.

Are any of you doing anything out of the ordinary like this?
I just want to make sure this is not the issue on my end.
I have been working with vpasp tech support for over a month and they are stumped since I have been the only person who reported this issue. The godd thing is at least I can point them to this thread.

Most of my duplicate customer have been created with in 2 minutes. I have seen as long as 8 minutes.

Regards,

Jorge
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  08:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to also mention that I am on version 6.09 with all the latest patches.
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  08:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jorge,

I'm using 6.50 and am not doing anything out of the ordinary, but the fact that your duplicates appeared in such a short time does make me feel that they are a result of customers doing exactly what I did when I tested it out! My duplicate record of myself appeared within 2 minutes, as that's how long it took me to type it in again when I clicked on the option, not realising what I was doing!

I don't know how it works in your version but in 6.50 right after registering and logging in you get presented with a "Customer Service" menu, the first option of which is "logout" and the second option is "Customer Registration". If you click on this you actually get exactly the same screen you get when you originally register, which says something like "enter your details so we can keep you informed" etc. But of course it just makes them think that the data they originally entered got lost, so they enter it all again and you get a duplicate record.

Can you ask your customers whether they did that? Or at least make my change and see if the problem goes away?

Ade
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  10:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked one of my customers previously what he did to make a purchase.

He didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

He purchased the item, checked out, registered and paid.
He was never prompted a second time for customer info.

I get at least 2 duplicates every 2-3 days.

VPASP support told me I was the only one with this issue.
Which does not seem to be the case.

I am in the middle of upgrading to 6.50 hoping that would solve my issue. It looks though it may not fix it since you are also having the same problem

I also upgraded from MS SQL 2000 to 2005 and this didn't solve it as I expected.

I thought it might have been related to some patch updates I made.

Did you install 6.50 clean or is it an upgrade?

Regards,

Jorge
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  10:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I logon with my account then select the customer registration button. I fill in all my information then submit I get.

Customer already exists, please use login

Did you turn on the function in VPASP to check for duplicate customer?
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  10:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is under the admin setup
Customer Information

xcheckexistingcustomer

When adding a new customer during checkout, check that the customer does not already exist

This checks the email address and last name.
If the last name is different but it has the same email address it will register as a new customer.

Regards,

Jorge
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  12:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jorge, I didn't have that flag set! And my duplicate record was definitely caused by me typing in the information twice and not through any mysterious system fault.

I just want to remove the temptation for people to enter their information twice.

Have you tried switching to Username/Password mode instead of last name/email address? I'm uncomfortable with lastname/email as it is hardly secure is it? I mean if knew your last name I could log in to your account on your site, and that somehow feels wrong, even though there's not a great deal I could do while I was there!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Ade
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  15:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Customer Registration option wont create a duplicate.
If you already logged in it will just update your information.
If you try it while logged in you will notice the password option is gone.

My sites use email and password created by a user.
It is so much more secure.
Then again I don't store credit card information so there is not much they can do.

Regards,

Jorge
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm running version 5.5, and was having problems with duplicate entries in VP-ASP. Even though the e-mail was the same, as was the last name - it STILL allowed you to create another entry.
I eventually paid someone to fix the problem (NETURF) - and while they were able to fix it -they could NOT clean up my database which had 3 or 4 entires for some people...ugh..

Wish I knew specifically what they had to do, but I don't. I do know that it works as it should now though...

Companies name is NETURF, a google search should find them..

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com
Go to Top of Page

norik000
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - February 12 2008 :  09:54:20  Show Profile  Visit norik000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewisar

In the absence of any other replies to this, I believe I have solved my problem by editing the file shopcustadmin.asp as below. If anyone can give me a good reason why I SHOULDN'T do this then please let me know! For instance is the SetUpMenus routine called anywhere else where it would make sense to show the "register" link?

In the routine SetUpMenus, I have deleted the line

AddMenuItem getlang("langMaillistSubject"),"shopcustregister.asp", getconfig("xAllowcustomerregister")

This removes the temptation for a logged in user to re-register themselves, and hopefully will stop multiple user registration records.

Ade

I assume the code supposed to look like :

If LoginFlag="Yes" Then
AddMenuItem getlang("langCommonLogin"),"shopcustadminlogin.asp", "Yes"
Else
AddMenuItem getlang("langCommonLogout"),"shopcustadminlogin.asp?new=yes", "Yes"
End If
AddMenuItem getlang("langSupplierAdmin"),"shopsupplierregister.asp", getconfig("xAllowSupplierRegister")

I moved the registration to logged out state, so logged in people will not see it.

-------------------------------
www.Parscat.com
<signature>3D</signature>

Edited by - norik000 on February 12 2008 09:55:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000