Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 losing sessions when sessions don''t matter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vpnewbie
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've officially reached the end of my rope. It seems I either need to get a whole new hosting company or a whole new cart.

Can anyone on here tell me what would cause checkouts using sslshopcheckout.asp to work 3 times, then not work (producing the Order Has Been Processed error and not putting payment info in database or sending email notifications), then work once more, then not work for a few hours, then work 2 times, then not work twice, then work.

I realize the most common problem is losing session variables. However, it seems using sslshopcheckout.asp should be immune to this. Plus, it seems if there was a problem with the vpasp code, it just wouldn't work period. It also seems that if there was a server problem or shared ssl problem, it would hardly ever work, and maybe just a couple times, then have to wait 24 hours (or until hosting company does restart of server services). But what the hell would make it work on and off repeatedly over the course of several minutes, or hours?

I'm on a shared server hsting plan (not a dedicated box), using paypalccshopcheckout.asp, and if user clicks "pay by credit card" they are directed to external shared ssl box, to sslshopcheckout.asp.

If ANYONE has ever had this type of intermittent problem, please, please, please, please help.

Thanks for reading, and any response or help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I like vpasp, and would rather not use a different cart, but no one seems to be able to pin down this problem.

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  08:35:40  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have answers but I have also had sporadic success/failure with PayPal transactions. Sometimes the payment is logged into VPASP and the email is sent to me, other times it does nothing, in spite of the payment having been made at the PayPal site. A periodic review of PayPal is the only way I knew a payment had been made!
I had assumed the failures were caused by buyers not finalizing the process but I'm not sure of that.
I too would like to see some discussion of possible causes for this problem.
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  00:37:49  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are using the basic Paypal interface and the buyer does not click on the return to site link then no data will be added to the VPASP database.

You must use PayPal IPN for this to work or if you are in the US you may want to try our new PayPal Pro interface.

We do not recommend using shared ssl certificates as they can be problematic as well. SSL certificates are now very affordable at US$70 roughly for 1 year I believe so for the extra piece of mind that is what I would recommend.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  06:01:15  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with vpasp's comment regarding shared ssl; it does seem to cause general problems as sessions don't seem to be crossed-over.

There are other elements regarding lost sessions, such as people landing on the "mysite.com" and then getting transferred to "www.mysite.com" when going to/from the gateway, which will cause the session to be dropped.

We've created an addon for domain related tools which generally helps stop sessions from being dropped by ensuring the right domain gets used in the right places etc. While it works perfectly well on shared ssl, I'd always advise the same thing as vpasp (ie use your own certificate if possible as it'll minimise these kind of problems)....

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

That's also very useful if you have mirror sites or aliases etc.

All of those domain/session related problems are really just generic site aspects, and not really vpasp-related (ie you'd have the same problems regardless of what cart you used, unless you had something like the domain-tools logic), but having said that our domain-tools addon is specifically coded-up to integrate fully with vpasp as a simple slot-in job so that you don't have to change all your panel links or the vpasp code etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 12 2006 06:09:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000