Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Add link to shopexd.asp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikehenson
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  13:39:27  Show Profile  Visit mikehenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to add two links to this page in the form of graphic buttons which will open Windows Media Player or Quicktime Player respectively and play a video clip.

I have a feeling that this is a big job?

Help will be appreciated.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  15:03:03  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's actually deceptively easy; here's what you can do......

put the name of the video clip file into one of your product columns (say, "pother1")

then in your template you can use the "$" trick at the front of the line to only shown the link if pother1 has a value, so you can add something like this to your tmp_product.htm file:

$<br><a href="[pother1]" target=_blank>Click Here For Video</a>

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

mikehenson
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  17:36:47  Show Profile  Visit mikehenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Simon

Thank you for answering my question.

I went into View/Edit Product and placed the location of the clip in the "Other1" location - you talk about "pother1" which confused me initially.

I've placed the code "$<br><a href="[pother1]" target=_blank>Click Here For Video</a>" into the desired location in tmp_product.htm and everything works OK apart from the fact that the $ symbol appears on the line above Click Here For Video when shopexd.asp runs.

Should I just delete the $?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the $ should be the very first character on that line in the template, and the rest of the string should be on the same physical line within the template. ie you must have all of this exactly as-here as a line in the template file:

$<br><a href="[pother1]" target=_blank>Click Here For Video</a>

(ie don't break that line into separate lines in the template file)

if you don't add that $ to the front, then all the other html will still show-up even if pother1 is blank, so it's essential to include it.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on May 08 2006 19:02:39
Go to Top of Page

mikehenson
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  09:14:16  Show Profile  Visit mikehenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon, I'm not sure what is happening.

I am putting the code in exactly as you have laid it out.

When I run it the $ appears in view, on one line and the link itself appears correctly on the line below.

If I past your code without the $ the link still appears and works correctly.

This is with content in pother1 - I don't know what happens if there's no content in pother1 because the scenario will never arise.

Kind regards

Mike
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  13:01:30  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if the "$" thing isn't available on free version of vpasp; which version/type of vpasp are you on?

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

mikehenson
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  15:07:09  Show Profile  Visit mikehenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm currently using the free version; I'm not prepared to throw money at it until I know if I can work/use it.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  21:29:47  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

This feature is avialbale in the free version.

You need to ensure that the dollar symbol is at the hard left of the page so that any text to the right of it will not appear if the [productfield] reference is empty in the product record.

If this is not occurring please feel free to submit this into our online help desk and one of our support team can look into this for you.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00