Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Understanding Shipping by Weight Range
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - March 27 2006 :  10:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After setting up a few carts I have a new client that I will be purchasing 6.0 for and they have requested shipping by weight.
I have read the VPasp 5.5 Guide and looked in the online help but am struggling to understand how weight and weight range work.
Are they not both weights in total for all products bought ?

Where do you put the weight ranges if using that method. V6.0 online help talks about shipother1 but it does not appear in the example they give?

Can there be a default charge if the product is not assigned a weight. Say for lightweight items. Am I right in thinking this is assigned by the cart as the amount in the Shipbasecost field if the products weight field is blank.

Thanks
Phil

Regards

Phil

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 27 2006 :  14:00:41  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Phil,

Shipping by Weight and Shipping by WeightRange are two different calculations.

Shipping by weight allows a base shipping price and then an additional charge will be applied for every unit of weight that is included in the order.
For more details on this shipping method see:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=271

Shipping by weight range allows you to specify a total shipping cost for the total weight of the order.
eg. between 0 and 5kg may be one price while between 5 and 10kg may be another price.
For more details on this shipping method see:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=276

As you have said, the shipbasecost will be allow a default shipping amount to be applied to an order regardless of the weight.

Thank you

Regards,

Michael
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - March 28 2006 :  01:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael

But I am still not quite sure where shipother1 comes in.
For weight range in the help url you have given there is no shipother1, just a maximum and minimum weight field?

Regards
Phil

Regards

Phil
Go to Top of Page

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - April 10 2006 :  10:45:30  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weight ranges are always fun....

Heres the principle: http://www.virtualmidlands.co.uk/shipping.jpg

You just continue the theme starting from zero rate and upwards.

Hope that saves you time
Go to Top of Page

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - April 10 2006 :  10:53:34  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Footnote:

Your shipping table should look more or less like that in Access. The pother fields are the weight ranges. I too struggled with it at first but hopefully future help files can show something similar to the example I give to save a little time.

That said, in the UK in August we're all to switch to package sizes. That should be fun.....
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - April 11 2006 :  06:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much jackbox, I am beginning to grab it a bit more.
Would you mind saying what the smprice with the dollar sign in is about out of interest?
Also if the cart is adding up weight ranges and a particular product does not have a weight, does it allocate a basic or standard rate from anywhere?

Kind regards
Phil

Regards

Phil
Go to Top of Page

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - April 13 2006 :  03:16:59  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No prob. It foxed me for a while.

I'm pretty sure the smprice is a default value. All I know is it works:) You can always try adding to that table locally (ie download database) then upload and see how it looks in admin? Then it will perhaps make sense.

Not sure as to what happens with an undefined weight as I've never been in that position. My guess is it will allocate the minimum postal weight range. The only thing I do know, is make sure you cover instances where an order weight is HUGE!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00