Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Can I FTP Acess DB Back and Forth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  01:49:03  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking, and I did it.
Edited some fields in the products table and sent them back.
It seemed to work.
I dont know when, but now - and it may have been some time after- I am getting this error on my Edit Products screen:
With Netscape 7

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e07'

Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

/shopping/shopa_addproduct.asp, line 1393
---so i checked the line 1393.. it is
set rs=myconn.execute(sql)
...so i can edit it with the advanced edit feature
------------
but with ie6.02 I can only log-in and then when I choose a product to edit, because i can get to the list I get this error:
-----iexplore 6.02---
the page cannot be displayed at this URL
http://www.mysite/shopping/shopa_addproduct.asp?page=1&which=79&idfield=catalogid&table=products&database=

Yikes
RC

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  08:43:59  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't help with your problem but the answer to your question is Yes.
I routinely move the products database back and forth by FTP without issues. One reason I do it is to use the 'compact and repair' tool locally to reduce the size of the online database.
You need to use care in what changes you make locally of course. If you make design changes in the tables, you can confuse the scripts that expect the original design.
Hope this helps.
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  12:23:18  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marevelous news Don
I love to :
A.. Back up my .MDB a lot during development
B.. Have a copy on my laptop as well
C.. Control my entries in an Excell/Products file
This helps me with batch type changes and being able to see the whole products range on one screen.
D.. Go outside and have a smoke whike the file is in FTP progress
Alohaaaaa
RC
PS.. I just checked and the data mismatch problem still exists
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  12:54:54  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
be careful with compact+repair; I heard that in some instances it might change your auto-generated IDs on your existing records, so if you have logically but not physically linked records (eg prodcategories linking to/from products) then it might muck those up. it's very rare from what I can make out, but it does happen sometimes apparently.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK IT WAS: MY BAD
Fortunately in my paranoia I had saved a previous version of the shopping600.mdb (I'm in dev so havent hooked it up with a new name or location because it doesnt matter yet)
I deleted my current products table and renamed the products_old back to products, sent it up and the Jet Error is gone and we're back to losing only a couple of hours.
WHAT I had done is:
Exported the programs table to Excell
Edited in Excell
then
Imported Back to Access
There is a protocol that will make that work I'm sure, but dont know what it is. A question is do you assign a key during the import?
I chose "No Primary key"
Anybody know?
RC
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - March 26 2006 :  16:46:40  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you import products from Excel and do not assign catalogid as the primary key, nothing good will happen- that falls into the table design changes I mentioned earlier.
If you change any relationships between categories/products, you need to generate a new prodcategories table as well. I use 3 queries after changing the products table:
1. delete all data from prodcategories:
sql=DELETE * FROM prodcategories;

2. add main categories/products
sql=INSERT INTO prodcategories ( intcatalogid, intcategoryid )
SELECT products.catalogid, products.ccategory FROM products;

3. add subcategories/products

sql=INSERT INTO prodcategories ( intcatalogid, intcategoryid )
SELECT products.catalogid, products.subcategoryid FROM products WHERE (((products.subcategoryid) Is Not Null));

None of my products is in more than 2 categories. If you have some that are, additional queries will be required.
Hope this helps you.
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00