Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Split Databases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - February 08 2006 :  05:27:23  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has the split database feature been tested fully? I keep getting error messages while using the split feature. I already posted a problem previously and was not addressed by support. The problem I am having now is an error message when I go to the Order Display page in the Admin section (shopa_displayorders.asp). Ordertracking table is in the orders database, but the code in shopa_displayorders doesn't seem to check whether the ordertracking table is in the main database or a different database.

ERROR:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e37'
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'ordertracking'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

/shopa_displayorders.asp, line 1080

vpaspza7
Forum Admin

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - February 08 2006 :  06:23:12  Show Profile  Visit vpaspza7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Chavousa,

If you have a specific issue please log it for support through our dedicated help desk. We rarely check the forum posts as it is more for customer to customer discussion about how to get the most from your VP-ASp store.

Our support desk is open for 20 hours a day weekdays and 16 hours a day weekends so if you need a response to an issue quickly then this is the best avenue.

Thank you
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - February 08 2006 :  23:34:39  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the purpose of this forum, specially this section if you don't check it often to find out exactly the bugs customers are finding. My understanding is that customer support help desk is available for issues not related to bugs. You guys implemented a point-based system that charge a certain amount of points for help provided. I am definitely not using my earned points to bring up bugs in your shopping cart. We as users take the time to write in the forum issues that we feel are bugs and not related to changes we made/or want to make.

I have found a couple of bugs in the shopping cart system since I became a customer in 2004. Those bugs were later fixed with patches released. It is obvious that even after some testing you guys do, there are bugs that are missed because you simply cannot recreate every single situation where the shopping cart is used. For that reason, you should be checking the forum more often to find out what users are finding that you didn't before releasing the full version of the shopping cart.

Edited by - CHAVOUSA on February 08 2006 23:37:09
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  01:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno. . . Seems from all the answers provided by "Support" on this forum, they keep up with what's going on in the user world.

As for the points-based help, I read it. Didn't quite understand it (didn't try very hard to understand it).

Sorry I can't help regarding the split database feature. Maybe someone else can chime in and help out?
Go to Top of Page

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  03:41:39  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not saying they completely ignore the forum, but if there is a section called Problems and Bugs, I would assume that is for tech support to check more often. All other postings asking for advice from users to other users are posted in General Questions, Customizations, etc.

And I know I can report a bug directly via the help desk, but there is a minimum point charge for that. I totally support having to pay for support related to changes an user has made, or customizations. But paying to report a programming bug...that's too much.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  04:45:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do not actually deduct points for bug reports.

If it is a user error though and we fix before the customer notifies us that they have found a solution then we deduct points.

In either case we look into the issue and fix straight away for the customer so they can get up and running as quickly as possible.

If you have a look at our Points Explained page it outlines our policy on this.

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/points_explained.htm

All point deductions are also open to discussion so if you feel points have been deducted unfairly we will review and reinstate the points if the issue is found to be with the software and not the user.

In regards to the issue you are having with the split databases we have tried to replicate from this end and have been unable to duplicate your problem.

Can you please review the following help note and see if following this enables you to set up the split databases correctly:

http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=392

If you still have problems we would need to look at your site for you.

Thank you
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 11 2006 :  22:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chavousa-

I agree with many of your comments. Short answer to your question " Has the split database feature been tested fully?" is "NO" No advanced feature of this cart has been tested fully enough, at least in version 5.50 and prior. If you stick to the most basic usage, you'll probably okay, but as soon as you start using multiple features, you find all kinds of ugly behaviors that have to be fixed.

(BTW, which version are you having problems with. Its probably helpful to always mention what version of the cart you are using since bugs are likely to be different in different versions.)

In version 5.50, there was a split database bug that I identified that I have described here, though it doesn't sound related to your issue:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=520

When I contacted support about it long ago, they provided a modified asp file as a fix, but I seem to have misplaced it. Perhaps this modification is now part of 6.0 and perhaps it was even incorporated into later sales of version 5.50. Since there were no real bug notifications, and no "minor" rev updates (such as version 5.5.1, version 5.5.2, version 5.5.3). Such updates are a sign of a healthy software project that is actively supported, and each update should come complete with release notes that describe exactly which feature improvements and bug fixes are included in that release. Since none of this existed previously, there really was no way to know if this was ever fixed for everyone.

Regarding your comments on points, I completely agree. Versions 5.0 and 5.5 were full of bugs. I found many bugs, but the old support team (before Cam came on the scene) rarely ever admitted they were bugs. Even when they provided fixes to me, they still wouldn't publicly admit to the bug or provide a public fix.

You know that I was once very active on this forum. I was also quite active with support in identifying bugs and getting them resolved. However, since the introduction of the points scheme, I have not posted a single helpdesk request, and have largely withdrawn from this forum. I agree with you. I don't want work extra hard to bring bugs to supports attention, and then have to pay points on top of that. This policy change along with a few others has me looking for other carts. If I have to debug and fully customize the cart by myself, I might as well be using a free open-source cart where my involvement helps the user community without paying for it.

I admit this may be unfair to the new management. Cam has been AWESOME even since before his company even merged with VP-ASP. Perhaps the whole team is much better at admitting bugs releasing bug fixes and notifying everyone. Perhaps I'm just negatively biased by the old team's improper handling of bugs and updates. Still, I feel I've given so much, I should almost be getting paid for my involvement....not getting charged more.

Edited by - greatphoto on June 11 2006 22:50:52
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 12 2006 :  05:58:36  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Nathan,

Thank you for your post and the points raised.

With the release of Version 6.00 many things changed at our end with both the software and the way we work, all to the better we hope.

We felt that with the release of version 6.00 the development process needed to be much more transparent so we changed the way we released updates and announced these.

As I mentioned above we do not charge points for bugs in the software, only for support issues.

If you find a genuine bug we are happy to work through to find a solution. post it in our bug fix and update the next release so all can benefit.

It is great to see quite a few people have stepped up to the plate with regards to helping others! Be good to see you back as many, including myself in the old days, have read your posts with interest.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 12 2006 :  07:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam-

Thanks for the positive remarks.

Its good to hear that so much has changed with 6.0. You wrote "...post it in our bug fix and update the next release." By next release, do you mean some release that may not be out for another 6 months (say v6.5), or are you doing multiple "minor" releases in between (say v6.5.01). It sounds like you are now doing multiple "incremental" or "minor" releases with listings of the improvements made in each. Is this the case?

I'll drop you a separate email just to update you on my situation.

Nathan
Go to Top of Page

vklane
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - June 16 2006 :  17:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not funny - but in all of the previous discussion in response to a posting asking for help with split databases - it went into the points system - which I also dislike and never did really answer the question about split databases. I used split databases with version 5.5, but after upgrading to Ver 6, and converting, had a crap load of problems. Finally put it all back into one database and that's where I am now. There is almost not information about what procedures to follow to get functioning split databases. I liked having the databases split, allowed me to update my products on my desktop then upload just the products.db to the live server - and not the whole database. If anyone has an answer- or can outline the procedures (where do you (what files) change the "opendatabases" command), please post.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 19 2006 :  22:14:14  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have recently updated our helpnote in response to these forum discussions to hopefully ensure that splitting databases is a simpler procedure.

The updated helpnote can be found at:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=392

vklane: in response to your earlier post about the ordertracking issue - this was deemed to be a bug for which a fix will be added to the next upgrade of VPASP.

For all interested - the following change to shopa_displayorders.asp should resolve this issue:

Around line 1088 locate the following lines:

Function trackingtoday(orderid)
dim unopenedsql
dim unopenedconn, unopenedrs
shopopendatabase unopenedconn

Modify these to read:

Function trackingtoday(orderid)
dim unopenedsql
dim unopenedconn, unopenedrs
openorderdb unopenedconn

This should resolve your issue.

As earlier pointed out, we don't charge points for bugs posted in the helpdesk.

Posting issues such as this one to the helpdesk will ensure an immediate response and issues such as this will be resolved significantly quicker than by posting in our customer forum.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support

Regards

Michael,
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00