Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Search Results Keyword Highlighted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - February 05 2006 :  16:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my site, having a customer's search results keywords highlighted in yellow would be very helpful. I would think others with sites containing thousands of products, often similar products, would find this helps customers when they scan the search results listings.

Best would be some sort of on/off feature in administration for search terms highlighting.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 05 2006 :  17:10:01  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We agree this would be a great inclusion and we have developed code to work with VP-ASP in our Help Notes (http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes).

We are currently looking at adapting this for inclusion in the general VP-ASP package.

Kind regards,
Claire Banks
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  02:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If search results keyword highlighting will not be backwards compatible, perhaps BYZ could come up with something (I use vs. 5.5).

The search function has come up fairly frequently on this forum, I think there might be others that would like more flexibility in providing search functions which would be more individualized, i.e. site-specific. Is there a huge difference in search results in version 6.x vs. version 5.5, given the same input from a customer?

I'm sure every shop owner looks at customer searches (search report) which undoubtedly did not provide a useful result, given the exactness required for a search to precisely match ccode or cdescription.

I wonder if customers would be more inclined to use a pull-down menu for all/categories, as they seem too lazy to click the appropriate category checkbox before searching? (hey, I'm lazy too).
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  06:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you're looking at searching, how about supporting the search within product include files. I have one site that because of the limitation of the size of the Description field in SQL, I was forced to use include HTML files for each product since there is a lot of description for each product. Unfortunately the Search in VP-ASP doesn't look inside the include files so Search is pretty much useless in this situation.
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  10:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dcwebman,

I read that SQL 2005 does not have the 8k row limitation - at least that's my interpretation of what I read.

I have the same issue as you state above. I lose sales because the cdescription cannot contain complete product info. And non-searchable text is useless (in my case).

Hopefully, someone will come along on this forum with info about the new SQL 2005. If it's true the row limitation is taken care of, I would certainly find some way to upgrade.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00