Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Front Page Random Product Display
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - February 03 2006 :  12:43:41  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What code do I need to include on my Front Page to allow VPASP to diaplay specific products. I've set up the DB fileds but can't find the code that needs to be included.

tegards,

jim mccann

fb4u
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - February 09 2006 :  19:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jmccann ... hmm , yes... the instructions are not very full are they?
This is what I did and hope it helps ...
You goto

Setup > and in the search box you enter xfront
then you set/keep xfrontpagefield = frontpage
(The frontpage is the field in the Products table and vpasp will go look at that specified field's value to check what it says in that field, and thereby will know whether that product is to be displayed on your front page)

Next, you tell vpasp what the value is that it should look for so that it will know that that particular product is to be displayed on your homepage. So set ...
xfrontpagerandomvalue = Y

where Y is the value it should look for (example only; you can put any value in there)

Finally for each of the products you do want to display on your home page,
the field (in the Products table for each product) ... you enter "Y" (no quotes) in its frontpage field.

And as an extra bit of option, if you want the products you have chosen to be displayed randomly (e.g. if you have 100 of them) ... then you set
xfrontpagevalue = random

I am not sure if all this is correct but it seems to work for me
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 10 2006 :  03:11:44  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; that previous posting will do the job.

if you want to have a more flexible set of queries/parameters or different look/feel for your frontpage stuff, or if you want to be able to show different "chunks" of products in different pages/panels/formats, then you might find our "product showcase" addon useful (it also includes "top sellers" as an option) as it allows you to show different chunks in different formats (ie multiple-calls allowed wherever you want, each call is capable of using its own templates etc).....

see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - November 30 2006 :  21:48:10  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, I did what fb4u said but am still getting all products in my randomproductsdisplay.... any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - December 01 2006 :  00:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vs. 5.5 SQL2000

I've never been able to get the frontpage to work correctly either. I have thousands of products. For approximately 50 Christmas products I put "christmas" in the frontpage value.

I can get three christmas items to appear on the front page, but. . . it's always the same three items. I was hoping it would be random, but I got tired of messing and guessing, so gave up.

My settings are:

xfrontpagefield = frontpage
xfrontpagemaxrecords = 3
xfrontpagemaxcolumns = 1
xfrontpagerandomfield = christmas
xfrontpagerandomvalue = christmas
xfrontpagevalue = christmas

I tried various possibilities, the above probably is not right, but it at least generates the same products.
Maybe it's not possible to have a group of products displayed randomly?

Edited by - rvaga on December 01 2006 01:04:30
Go to Top of Page

dafragan
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - December 01 2006 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Maybe try changing xfrontpagerandomfield to frontpage instead of Christmas.

Do you have <%Displayrandomproducts%> in your default.asp page?

Seb
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - December 02 2006 :  00:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I tried it, no difference, and yes, I do have
<%Displayrandomproducts%>

Best I can tell is that it's kind of "all or nothing." It is possible to have all products displayed randomly, and to limit the number that cycle (otherwise the page takes forever to load), but it is not possible to have a subgroup displayed as a select group of products, randomly.

If I'm wrong on this, I hope someone will point out where I'm going wrong. Again, I'm on vs. 5.5, I haven't messed with my other site using 6.09, perhaps there are differences.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 02 2006 :  00:50:39  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Can you please post this in our helpdesk at http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk and we can investigate this further for you.

Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  10:40:39  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually with the code of the guy trying to just display Christmas, it worked.

xfrontpagefield = frontpage
xfrontpagemaxcolumns = 1
xfrontpagemaxrecords = 9
xfrontpagerandomfield = Y
xfrontpagerandomvalue = Y
xfrontpagevalue = Y
Go to Top of Page

pelicanPaul
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - December 04 2006 :  10:52:18  Show Profile  Visit pelicanPaul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but as he said... it displays NOT randomly but alphabetically.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00