Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Content Management
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 15 2006 :  19:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an issue with V6 and content management where if I add or try to update content (fairly long) and save, it just reverts back to the original content. The new stuff doesn't save.

Regards,
Paul

taylorphoto
VP-CART New User

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 15 2006 :  20:44:38  Show Profile  Visit taylorphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, did you read my thread on this topic?
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4433
I found out how to do it.
It is a little odd that you have to go into the code of the page and make coding adjustments everytime you create new content or change the name of content.
Maybe that thread can help.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 16 2006 :  01:10:17  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by taylorphoto
It is a little odd that you have to go into the code of the page and make coding adjustments everytime you create new content or change the name of content.

You only need to do this for the side menus. We listed a method to do this without changing code which may make this easier.

The horizontal menu can be updated dynamically through the admin without needing to touch code at all though via any web browser.

Thank you
VPASp Support
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 16 2006 :  16:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we're talking about something different here. There seems to be a limit to the amount of text you can stick in the contents pages (2000) characters I believe. Have modified the SQL table content to allow the maximum of 8000 characters. Are there any issues associated with this, or is there a way to increase it even further. For someof these privacy statements, especially when using html tags, the size blows out really quickly.

Regards,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 16 2006 :  18:30:28  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Different versions of sqlserver will allow different lengths for varchar fields, so if I were in your shoes I'd set the column length to the maximum that you're likely to use.

I'm guessing that the reason it's a varchar field and not a longtext/blob (or whatever sqlserver's equivalent of access's "Memo" type is) is that varchars can be manipulated/searched, but longtext values are notoriously inflexible regarding what the system can do with them.

There shouldn't be any knock-on effects of increasing the length, as long as you don't one day move to a host which has an older version of sqlserver which allows less characters.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 16 2006 18:33:10
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 17 2006 :  01:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any comments from the VP-ASP team? I would like to be able to put more in this field, but I don't want to change the data type if it's going to cause any issues.

Regards,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 17 2006 :  04:58:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The message and message2 field in SQL Server are set to be text fields meaning you should be able to have as much content in them as you like.

If you would like us to look into this for you please post us a ticket through our help desk at:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk

Thank you
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - January 17 2006 :  11:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Support said,
"The message and message2 field in SQL Server are set to be text fields meaning you should be able to have as much content in them as you like."

Would the text fields be searchable fields by customers? This has been the achillies heel of VPASP i.e., the text limitation of SQL.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 17 2006 :  13:16:06  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can either use the text fields and have unlimited content, but not have it searchable. Or you can use a varchar field, have it searchable, but have a limit on the number of characters.

You can optimise the number of characters used by going through each field in the table and seeing what your personal maximum will be. Change the number of characters for that field to a number slightly higher and then increase your main text fields max characters.

For example in the products table you can get 5000 characters in the extended field using this method.

Thank you
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  04:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, simply changing the field type to text would solve the size issues? If not, has any one done a workaround. It's not worth creating a ticket for, but nice to know. It would save me having some pages in the contents table and others as a html file.

Regards,

Paul
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  04:17:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can try just chaning them.

In version 6.00 they are set to text already.

Thank you
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  05:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so unless my upgrade didn't work properly they should be text. I'll change it tomorrow and see what happens.

Regards,

Paul
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked this morning and the field types were set to varchar. Checked the convert and create text files and they should be text fields. Since I did an upgrade from 5.5 it might be worth checking to see if the upgrade is actually converting the fields correctly. This might go for any other fields that shoudl be converted that I haven't come across yet.

Cheers,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

pspeirs
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, am now able to enter as much info as required into these fields, however I noticed that when trying to view the content, nothing displays. Double checked and the information is still in the table. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Paul
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 19 2006 :  00:11:00  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are going to need to debug this directly unless anyone else has a suggestion?

Thank you

Cam
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - January 22 2006 :  01:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that SQL 2005 (released last November) addresses this varchar limitation of 8k, increasing varchar text entry overall in each row substantially. Can anyone verify this is true? (Support, can you look into this?).
If what I read is true, it would solve this limitation that has always been an SQL limitation, not a VPASP design flaw.

Edited by - rvaga on January 22 2006 01:12:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00