Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Product ID must be numeric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 28 2005 :  13:13:16  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm inconsistenly getting complaints from customers that while attempting top fill their shopping cart, certain products will return the following error
They'll have either 2 or 15 items already in their cart (it's never consistent) and those items all go in fine. Just one certain item always returns that error message.

I have attempted to get the same error on my end, to no avail. I'll try the exact same product as them, and it will always go in my cart fine. It's completely inconsistent, and I can't figure how/why it's happening. The product ID is numeric, it just keeps saying its not and won't let them order it.

I've had several customers try adding something else (works fine), enter the item from a different page, etc. They always get the same error.

Anyone ever run across this before?

thanks

vp-asp 5.5 windows mysql database

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackerscomics.com

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 29 2005 :  04:24:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It might be a form-tag issue; netscape/firefox deals with form tags slightly differently than internet explorer, so sometimes you can get away with things when using netscape which cause problems on internet explorer.

try it in internet explorer and see what happens.

my guess would be that this would happen on the shopdisplayproducts.asp page rather than shopexd.asp

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Gillelejer
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - February 26 2006 :  04:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a new version of the same problem:

I’m trying to set up the demoshop with a MySql database. Everything seems to work just fine except when I try to view the cart I get this error message: “Product ID must be numeric.”

Question: Where is Product ID taken from?
In my database catalogid = numeric and ccode = varchar(50)

Does this error has anything to do with the use of MySql instead of Access?
Go to Top of Page

Gillelejer
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - February 28 2006 :  10:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem seems to originate from the server. VPASP support found a solution very quick.
Go to Top of Page

bengkohn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - March 21 2006 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same problem as Gillelejer.

What was the solution to that problem?

Thanks in advance,
Bradley Eng-Kohn
Go to Top of Page

Gillelejer
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - March 21 2006 :  10:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the answer I got from Support.
Michael made some modifications that worked.
- - - - - - - - - -
The problem appears to be caused by a server setting that does not allow null characters to be recognized by the isNumeric() function in ASP.

VPASP uses the isNumeric function extensively in security checking so there may be many instances where this error will occur within your site.

I have modified both shopaddtocart.asp and shopproductselect.asp so that the check for numeric characters now reads:

If NOT isNumeric(x) AND x<>"" Then

where x is the name of the variable being checked.

Due to this being a server inconsistency, as i stated earlier you may run into this problem again in other areas of the site.

You should be able to modify the line of code where the isNumeric call is being made so that it includes the check for null characters also.

This is the first case we have seen where this problem is occurring, so it is difficult to say how much it will affect your cart.

It may be worth checking with your web host to see if they know of this problem, and if there are any other possible solutions than changing every instance in the code that may throw up this error.

Thank you

Regards,
Michael Dunkley
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

interface engineer
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  13:42:31  Show Profile  Visit interface engineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm having this same problem in Firefox.

When I change the code to:
If NOT isNumeric(prodid) AND prodid<>"" Then

I still get the same error:

...and when I change it to:
If NOT isNumeric(prodid) AND prodid="" Then

..I get this error:
Item not found in database id=116, 116

thoughts...?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
interfaceengineer.com

Edited by - interface engineer on May 12 2006 13:45:59
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  17:08:23  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

Perhaps try changing the code to be:

If (NOT isNumeric(prodid)) AND (prodid<>"") AND (NOT isnull(prodid)) Then

If this doesn't work, the quickest way for us to diagnose and fix your problem would be if you could please post us a ticket in our helpdesk with your site's details.

Kind regards,
Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 02 2007 :  15:28:48  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

The problem is being caused we believe by using the [special_orderbutton] template tag in your tmp_productformat.htm files. This tag can only be used for extended description templates (shopexd.asp) and not for product display templates (shopdisplayproducts.asp)

You need to replace this tag in tmp_productformat.htm file with:
[formatproductoptions sub]
[formatquantity sub]
[formatbutton sub]

and this should fix this problem.

Regards,
Michael

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly