Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Showing Number of Products in Category
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - November 03 2005 :  11:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I could just be overlooking something but is there any way to show the total number of products in a category or subcategory?
For example, if the category is blue turtles, is there any way to show the category display such as:

Blue Turtles
(There are 10 items in this category)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have a great day,
Sandy

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - November 04 2005 :  08:07:24  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon Barnaby wrote mine, maybe he can do if for you too.

http://www.labwater.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp

Go to Top of Page

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - November 04 2005 :  10:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll email him.

Have a great day,
Sandy

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 04 2005 :  15:37:20  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case anyone else is wondering the same thing, we do have lots of relevant bits in our library for that kind of thing (lots of mini-addons which aren't for sale through our site but which we use when relevant for bespoke client requests).

Usually the solution has to be tailored to the individual site, because different logic is needed for different category structures if it's to be usable/workable, and some solutions are simply too slow with certain types of category trees. Also, the counting logic might be different for some merchants (eg some might only want the number of products specifically in category x, whereas others might also want to include the products which are in category x's subcategories)

We do have a "category utils" tool in our library (not for sale yet I'm afraid) which sets up the entire category tree with all the relevant product/category/subcategory flags/counts in a set of arrays, but whether or not that works depends on the database type/structure/content; for some it works fine, for others it slows the site down too much and needs to be stripped-down/simplified.

So, some people might like a full solution like the "category utils" logic, whereas others might just want an extra-template-field which uses a specific/simple query.

Generally stuff like that's worked out on a case-by-case basis to see what kind of approach would work best.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - November 04 2005 :  16:44:17  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I know Simon, is the one you did for me works GREAT!
How about acess to thaty library of gold you got? ahahah

You should put them allout with a price. I (as you saw) would pay for anything that makes this all better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00