Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 coding question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dssquirt
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - October 31 2005 :  12:52:37  Show Profile  Visit dssquirt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had someone else check this site, http://www.gearforhealth.com, just to get their opinion. They must have run it through an html checker as they indicated there are over 300 errors in the code.

One thing they indicated was that there was no doc type. Does anyone use this? I have used it in other sites, but have not added it to the code here.

Two, they indicated any place there is an "&" should be replaced with
&. I know that code is automatically generated by vpasp and I really don't want to go in and change that. I have seen it in other sites so I don't know how relevant this comment is.

An example is just going down the categories. Here is how the code looks: <option value='shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=20&cat=Backrests'>Backrests</option>

The person has indicated whree it says id=20&cat, it should be:
id=20&.

Any thoughts here? Is the guy nuts?

www.gearforhealth.com
www.gearforhealth.biz
www.gizmocreations.com

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 31 2005 :  14:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your guy is not nuts. He probably ran your site through the w3c validator found here: http://validator.w3.org/

The w3c is the standards body for the HTML language. They are the organization responsible for stating what the HTML language is and how it operates.

Their rules for HTML are fairly strict, and a lot of legacy code does not comply. The Mozilla/Netscape and IE browsers are really lenient in their HTML interpretation so you can get away with a lot more than is allowed in the HTML specification. However, there is no guarantee that the code will display the way you want in these browsers. If your HTML follows the standard, there is an increasing chance that it will display correctly in all browsers. Additionally, following the spec opens the way for easily adding on more complex coding such as DHTML or advanced CSS without having to modify your existing code.

Unfortunately, the VP-ASP cart contains a lot of legacy non-standard HTML. Much of this is embedded in shop$colors.asp and therefore could be updated by someone. There are even some hard errors that would be considered errors in any browser such as extra closing tags (</TD> and similar) that can cause wildly unexpected results if you make a change. All of these are detected by the validator, but sometimes it is hard to sort through the really critical ones and the more minor ones due to the sheer volume of errors.

We are all getting away with this for now, but it would be really nice if the next release of VP-ASP would move towards standard HTML. Every page in VP-ASP should be able to pass the w3c validator.

Go to Top of Page

dssquirt
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - October 31 2005 :  15:27:01  Show Profile  Visit dssquirt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I thought the guy was nuts. I was just actually asking for some help promoting the site as it is not being picked up very well by the search engines. I didn't realize he was going to run it through an html checker.

www.gearforhealth.com
www.gearforhealth.biz
www.gizmocreations.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00