Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Adding a table/column in shoppage_header
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khaskins
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 25 2005 :  14:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to add a column on the left side of my shoppage_header.htm for navigation purposes. When I try to add the table/column, the categories/products are pushed to where the bottom of my added table would be. They are centered, but if I put links in the column, it will push the products/categories further down the page. I am new to ASP. I have some HTML. Can anyone recommend anything??

Thank you

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 25 2005 :  16:27:56  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're new to asp, then you might find our panel-splitter for vpasp useful:

http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=26

we use that for tons of sites/clients as it makes things hugely easier/quicker.

with the problem you mention above, it's probably that you need to add:

valign="top"

to the column definition.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on October 25 2005 16:36:55
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 25 2005 :  22:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many ways to do this. One modern recommended technique is with CSS. The older standard that is still widely used is to use tables, as it sounds you are trying. The panel-splitter product offered by Simon might be exactly what you need if you are not experienced at programming and want a simple solution with good support. I have not used it myself, but Bigyellowzone products are reputable and provide key solutions to shop owners needs. (Another way to do a side menu is frames, but that is NOT desirable.)

If you want to try it yourself using tables, then you need to view the entire page as one large table. Each of that tables cells contain specific portions of the page you normally see and may contain tables nested within them.

One good way to do this is to start with the default shoppage_header.htm that was provided with your VP-ASP cart and just substitute your side menu in place of the one already there.

Alternately, you can start with the code I have written for you here:

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" >
<!-- Begin entire page Table -->
<TABLE BORDER="1" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"
WIDTH="100%" height="100%" >
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2" bgcolor="#CC3333" >
Top heading and menu goes here
</TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD WIDTH="165" height=80% align="left" valign="top"
bgcolor="#CED6C6">
Left side menu goes here
</TD>
<TD bgcolor="#9999CC" >

Main page content goes here (supplied by VP-ASP cart)
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
<!-- END entire page Table -->
</body>
</html>

The brown code goes in shoppage_header.htm, the teal code goes in shoppage_trailer.htm, and the red code gets replaced with the respective content you desire. If you want to just see what this code looks like in a browser, you can copy/paste it all into a new test.htm file and open it in your browser.

Note that I colored the backgrounds (bgcolor) of each of the cells so you can see them, and I set BORDER="1" for the table so you could see the divisions between different fields. This is a good way to start developing since its clear where each table cell starts and stops. After you have the appearance you want, you can change BORDER="1" to BORDER="0" and remove all the bgcolor settings that aren't equal to "#FFFFFF"

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - October 26 2005 :  06:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One cool tool if you use IE as your browser is at http://www.mattkruse.com/contextmenu/
Then you can right-click on your browser window and select Toggle Table Borders. This helps a lot in determining exactly where your tables are and why they aren't working as you expected.

Go to Top of Page

khaskins
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - October 26 2005 :  12:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick replies. I didn't expect to have 3 when I came in this morning. Both this forum and VPASP support have helped me a great deal. I am working on 2 shopping carts for 2 of our websites and the times I needed support, I got quick replies to my submitted problems from VPASP support. For my other isuues I came to the forum and usually found my answers.

To greatphoto, your solution worked great!! It is exactly what I wanted to do.

Again, thank you

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 26 2005 :  19:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

One cool tool if you use IE as your browser is at http://www.mattkruse.com/contextmenu/

Thanks! This is a good tip! I think there may be similar add-ons for Firefox/Mozilla, but I'm not sure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00