Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Any ideas for adding products with many suppliers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  17:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, let me first explain what the site I am building needs to do.

It is a shopping site that compares pricing on different items. For example, Product A is listed with all of the available suppliers and their pricing, just like pricegrabber or shopping.com.

Here is my question, I had originally thought to add every supplier of Product A as its own product record. This works great when showing products in each category. For example, if you click on Digital Cameras (Category #1), this would take you to all of the subcategories, then when you click on a product name (subcategory), you can see all of the suppliers for that product. You can then set up sorting to arrange by name, price, etc. I added a table to shopdisplayproducts.asp to provide the headers for the table.

The problem lies in the search feature. If you do a keyword search, you get all sorts of suppliers, but not anything that really makes any sense as to what product they supply.

Is there some way to set up each product with only one record in the products table. For example, could Product A have only one record but have some sort of include file to show all of its suppliers. That way the suppliers wouldn't actually be the products themselves. And each product would have only one record instead of around 25.

I have tried to accomplish this by using Microsoft Access, but I am not very skilled with the software and cannot figure out a way to do this.

Any thoughts on how this could be done? Thanks so much for any advice.

Have a great day,
Sandy

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00