Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Enhanced FrontPage (Product Showcase+Top Sellers)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 25 2005 :  18:52:07  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our new Enhanced "FrontPage" (Product Showcase and Top Sellers functions) Addon is now available...

For demo, see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/byz_showcase_demo.asp

to view/purchase, see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

Lots of people on the forum have been asking how-to questions about the "FrontPage" functions/files, and the only solution so far has been to delve into the randomproducts file and manually create extra copies of files etc, and it's generally something that only a programmer would be able to tweak.

So, we've created a new VP-ASP Addon which will allow you to ShowCase your products in a similar way to the "FrontPage" functions, but with much more flexibility/options. We've also added a Top-Seller function as a part of this addon which is similarly flexible.

It also comes with various sample function calls and templates so that you can see how it works and use those as a base for your own calls to the function.

The main benefit is that the options that you can set are set on a "Per-Call" basis and not on a global/config basis, so you can call a ShowCase in any format wherever you like.

Here's a list of some of the options that you can use on a Per-Call/Per-Use basis:

Top-Selling Products Listing
Alternate (Odd/Even) Column/Row Definitions (eg different colours)
Maximum Number of Records to show
Number of Columns to Show on each Row
Record Ordering
Randomize Results Flag
Template File To Use
Header Text/HTML
Trailer Text/HTML
Mandatory Column Check
Matching Value Logic
Additional SQL Query Restrictions (extra where clause)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Aislyn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - October 01 2005 :  13:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this running on my front page now and I love it. I had a block of four static pictures before, one for each type of product, and it looked nice but I was spending a lot of time making new pictures for those spaces every few months. Now I don't have to do anything and the front page looks fresh and different every time a person visits. I keep reloading the page just to see the pictures change. *s*

In some cases, the pictures for one space are pulled from multiple categories, which is especially convenient because I didn't have to rearrange my product categories to make it work the way I wanted it to. Now I'm thinking about which other pages would benefit from a constantly changing rotation of product pictures. It's so nice to be able to do that effortlessly on any page I like. (Thanks, Simon *s*)

-- Aislyn

UrbanMaille.com
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 17 2006 :  05:51:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The top-sellers aspect of this has now been enhanced, so that you can use different types of logic for your calls to the top-sellers displays. For example, you can use units-sold, monetary-amount-total, customer-count etc.

We worked out there were actually 5 different ways that a merchant could potentially want to work out what a top-seller is, so we've coded them all up and allowed you to use any of them by supplying a relevant argument to the top-seller function wherever you want to show a top-sellers chunk.

We've also added the record-number as an extra template field, and various other extra-template-fields which you can use in your top-seller template files.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 08 2007 :  05:29:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've now made substantial enhancements to this addon, so that it now lets you also use context-sensitive displays if/wherever you want to, with the same flexiblity/arguments as the showcase/topseller functions that are in it, and to add more examples to show things like vpasp 6.5 side panels do etc:

Details:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

Upgrade info:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=768

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Season
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  19:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Season's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon, will it allow you to specify categories that you dont want displayed.

Or Display categories I enter into a list.

Thanks [email protected]

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 11 2007 :  05:51:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes; the new version has context-sensitive options which'll (if used on a specific call) will show products which are relevant to the product/category that you're currently viewing.

In addition to that (and/or instead of that), you can also hard-code options into a specific call by using the "extrawhereclause" argument.

Note that you can use context-sensitive *and* an extrawhereclause if you want to (ie they'll both work together, so you could have context-sensitive displays but which also exclude products which are also in other categories).

The relevant "extrawhereclause" that you'd use (for top-sellers or showcaseproducts" would be something like this:

to exclude products which are in certain categories:

"not exists (select 1 from prodcategories where intcatalogid=catalogid and intcategoryid in (100,200,300))"

(where "100,200,300" is the list of categoryid's that you want to exclude)

to include products from a certain list of categories:

"exists (select 1 from prodcategories where intcatalogid=catalogid and intcategoryid in (100,200,300))"

(where "100,200,300" is the list of categoryid's that you want to include)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Season
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Season's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and got this and If your main page Random Products are showing Subproducts like Sml, Med, LRG, XLg sizes of a T-shirt or a parts break down of one Item, and 40 parts are showing up on your front page via the random products display, You need to get the BYZ add on it really allows you to cut out the redundant display of unwanted items. It is worth more than what you pay for it.

Cliff @ SeasonsPool.com
Go to Top of Page

gogogear
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - February 05 2009 :  20:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could this be used to show 'someone just purchased'?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 07 2009 :  00:14:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in theory, yes; it allows an optional argument for an "extra where clause" in each call to the function, so you'd just work out the where clause needed for that and then set that as part of the call to where you want to show that box.
Similarly to also-bought, it'd obviously be best to have an explicit exclusion in that where clause to make sure it doesn't show the order/item for that person who's currently logged in.
you'd use an exists clause, and depending on the database type you could use a "top x" in that exists clause to make sure it only shows the most recent ones

The "top-sellers" showcase function, and the generic "product showcase" functions both allow for extra-where-clauses, so you could use either of those functions

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)