Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 What is dynamic title?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - September 24 2005 :  13:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In my admin config dynamic title is set to "No" by default. I read some postings here and sounded like it's an advantage to set it to "Yes".

What is dynamic title and why do I want it "yes"?

Thanks in advance!

anisha
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - September 24 2005 :  14:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Title is what appears on the top of the browser. The information that you put between the title tags on yout html page.

If you put dynamic title to yes, then as the user navigates the diff categories the title on top of the page changes with it automatically.

If set to no then the title remains static what you have entered on the header page. I hope this helps

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 20 2005 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Keng!

Setting it to yes could help search engines better interpret the content of each of your pages. The title is not usually seen by visitors to your site, except that it becomes the name of any bookmark they place to your site, and it shows up in the list of pages under the "Back button" pulldown.

Try this yourself by creating a bookmark (favorites in IE) to a category page on your site. Then, look at what the bookmark looks like in your bookmark list. If you have dynamic titles turned off, you'll see something generic that will be the same for any of the pages that you bookmark. With dyamic titles turned on, you'll see the actual name of your category.

SEO info states that search engines place a lot of weight on a page's title when mining keywords for a page. This fact alone make me view this feature as the most important one introduced in version 5.5.

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - October 22 2005 :  17:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greaphoto!

So whenever I go to each of my category I have a generic Title. However on my configuration, dynamic title is set to yes. I wonder now how come even I set my dynamic title to Yes I still don't see the actual name of my category. For example, no matter where I go within my website, there is only one title when saving it to my favorites.

Any idea? Thanks!!!

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 22 2005 :  22:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Keng-

You need to edit your shoppage header to add the dynamic title. You probably already have a line in the HEAD section (between the <HEAD> and </HEAD>) of the html that defines the title. You'll edit the line to replace the generic title with "<title><%shopdynamictitle%></title>".

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - October 23 2005 :  22:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect! Thanks Greatphoto!

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - October 23 2005 :  22:35:39  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing I notice with that is it only changes the title tags. Itis also important to change the description and keyword tags.

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - October 24 2005 :  10:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Apswater,

Thanks for the input but how do I do that with the description and keywords?

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - October 24 2005 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was able to do it in the templates (tmp_products and tmp_productsformat) in 4.5 by adding some of the fields into the header.

Something like this :

<head>
<title>Product Data Sheet - [cname] - Model [ccode]</title>
<meta NAME="description" content="[cname] [cdescription]"
<meta NAME="keyword" content="[cname], [cdescription], [ccode]"
</head>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000