Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Login
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

teebee
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - August 20 2005 :  15:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this software 5.5. Is there a way once you log in to stay logged in longer than it is letting me. Once i log in if I walk away for a minute or two I have to relog in. I would like to stay logged on longer without logging in so often.

Also is there a site with several web sites and sample sites you can view that was built with VP.ASP software.

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - August 22 2005 :  11:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about staying in the admin longer, what I did was modify my renamed shopadmin.asp file. Add to the top of the GetAdminData subroutine:

if session("Shopadmin") <> "" then
session.timeout = 120
end if

This is for 2 hours.

Some VP-ASP sites are at http://www.vpasp.com/demos/vpaspsites/sitedisplay.asp
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

teebee
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - August 22 2005 :  17:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to find this shopadmin.asp file or GetAdminData subroutine file. I am lost in this software adminatration.

Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - August 23 2005 :  04:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thread covers timeouts in more detail
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3655

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - August 23 2005 :  07:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't seem to find this shopadmin.asp file or GetAdminData subroutine file. I am lost in this software adminatration.

VP-ASP comes with a file called shopadmin.asp. One of the security measures is you're supposed to rename it to something only you know. If you can't find it, then you or somebody must have renamed it. This is the page that is called when you first go into the Admin.

Once you find this file, look inside it at the top for the lnie that starts:
sub GetAdminData

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 30 2005 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate this post. I implemented the changes suggested by dcwebman. This is useful since it allows admin to stay logged in longer without having to change the default session timeout for all visitors to the site. Presumably, this solution has less impact on server performance.

This works great for me most of the time. However, I still get booted out of my admin login periodically, even while I'm actively working! This occurs while I'm busy making changes to products, etc in the account. The session shouldn't be timing out at this point, even if it were still set for 20 minutes timeout or even lower.

My main concern here is that this random clearing of session variables could be happening to my customers as well, causing them to lose their carts.

Have you experienced the same? Do you have any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - October 31 2005 :  08:51:31  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys might want to talk to support. They helped me change my login so it logs in by IP#. Now I never have to log in! It is great!

Go to Top of Page

sek
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - October 31 2005 :  11:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My main concern here is that this random clearing of session variables could be happening to my customers as well, causing them to lose their carts.

Have you experienced the same? Do you have any suggestions?

i do experience the same. It seems worst to me. I just logged in less than a minute and got kicked out quite often.

and i have seen orders without payment information, i contacted customers and they did not know the order did not go through resulting losing many orders.

i'm positive that there are some issues with "random clearing of session variables" since it occurs to me at backend logging in and also losing orders at front end.

before further conclude this, can any other people confirm this?

sek

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - November 01 2005 :  08:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This works great for me most of the time. However, I still get booted out of my admin login periodically, even while I'm actively working! This occurs while I'm busy making changes to products, etc in the account. The session shouldn't be timing out at this point, even if it were still set for 20 minutes timeout or even lower.

I see this sometimes too. I "think" it is because I always have 2 browser windows open, one with admin and one with the store. If I start with only one window which is the admin one and then say right-click on Home and open in new window, it will open the 2nd browser window. That one however will be at the 20 minutes or so. Since both browser windows are now using the same session since it was opened that way, the admin will also be reduced.

That's why now I make sure I open 2 browser sessions independently of each other. I think this should solve most of that issue at least.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - November 01 2005 :  21:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the posts.

I now know at least one reason this can occur. After discussions with my web hosting provider, I learned that the server "application pool recycles itself" on a regular basis. For my account, this was set to 4 hours. I understand that the positive side of this is that it clears out left over session junk, freeing server resources and keeping the system healthy. On the downside, it interrupts any active session by clearing all the variables. This means that admin logins will be booted out and, more importantly, customer's carts will be cleared.

My hosting provider has set my timeout to 29 hours to make the interrupt less frequent. I'm asking them if they can set it to 24 hours and adjust it to occur around 4 am which is when my site receives the least traffic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00