Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Detailed Search Without Tons of Subcategories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - August 02 2005 :  11:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am creating a gift shopping site. I need to be able to allow my visitors to search for products through a deeper and deeper search process. I need to have the ability to let them search by gift recipient, occasion, age, price, and gift type.

For example, let's say you are looking for a gift for a baby boy's birthday. I would like to be able to have it set up so you could click on your choice of gift categories such as baby gifts, birthday gifts, boy gifts, and so on. Then let's say you click on baby gifts, you would be presented with a display on all baby gifts available, but from there you could further refine your search by clicking on "Gifts For Boys". This would show you the results from your original search "Baby Gifts" that are only appropriate for boys. Then you may want to refine even further and see only the "Toys and Playthings" that fit in your search. And so on.

If you want to see what I am going for, take a look at http://www.gifts.com, this is very close to what I need to do.

Is there any way to do this that wouldn't require a kajillion categories and subcategories. Because you would basically have to set a ton of subcategories for each category and subcategory. It would also be difficult for the visitor to start a new search this way. I could do the price search by filtering but not the other items. Is there some sort of javascript that can do sorting in this way, however, I am not very well versed with javascript.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Have a great day,
Sandy

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - August 02 2005 :  18:45:05  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should think about using this instead of the VPASP search engine..

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/

it will search by category name as well as products and any other pages you have. It is what i use. www.labwater.com

Go to Top of Page

bettylou
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - August 03 2005 :  05:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks aspwater,
Just curious, do you mind telling me which version you use? Your site is really cool.

Thanks again,
Sandy

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - August 03 2005 :  08:24:56  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using 4.5

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00