Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Secure Shopping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JT
Starting Member

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - July 31 2005 :  18:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if other vpasp users get these comments, but I constantly get comments about it. I wonder how many potential visitors don't complain, just leave!

First, I get customers ringing me because they say my website is "not secure". When I ask why, they say that their is no padlock or https:// in the address line when they go to enter their customer information. Even though I explain that this is not necessary and that a secure page is provided at payment, the customer points me to a website that does have it!! What can I say??

Second, redirecting back to shopthanks.asp after payment brings up a security pop up message (if the visitors browser is set to do this)that scares customers into cancelling their orders. I've added the fix for this but I still get complaints now and then.

I love using vpasp and have been 'tweaking' it for 4 years now. It has helped me build very successful online businesses that I am proud of.

Still, it's tough selling online so anything that scares customers away is a big issue in my book, albeit ignorance of the technology!

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - July 31 2005 :  19:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible though, to add a comment/explanation at the top of the page. I added something along the lines of "Please review your order - when ready, click 'continue' and you will be taken to a secure encrypted page (https://) safe for online entry of credit card information."

It would be of interest to know how many customers are put off by the name/address page not being encrypted. Maybe it would be a good idea to have everything - name/address/card - on one page for those of us that have our own SSL certificate?

Go to Top of Page

bme
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - August 01 2005 :  20:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just go to shopaddtocart.asp line 194 (approx...)
It should say;
responseredirect "shopcustomer.asp"

If you have your own SSL, change it to;
responseredirect "https://www.domain.com/shop/" & "shopcustomer.asp"

"shop" is what folder your vpasp files are in.....

My SSL is under www.domain.com, so this how I have mine set up. However, if you do it this way, if anyone comes into your site under "domain.com" instead of "www.domain.com", the session data will be lost when they go to shopcustomer.asp.

To solve this, just insert a redirect code into your pages.

Go to Top of Page

newbycartuser
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  12:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had the same problem. Some customers don't want their personal information like their names, address and phone numbers online..... and I explained that the information is protected by code and 2 levels of passwords, but that didn't make them change their mind.

It would be nice if the program had it's own little lock sign that showed customers that the information is secure.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  15:27:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
see also:
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6498

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  07:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you host your own server, it is very easy to manage the pages using the the IIS 6.0 control manager. You select the website you have the files located. Look the the main admin pages you want secured and just click on secure communications for those certain pages all from the web servers manager.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  18:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have come across that complaint from a few customers in the past.

I have found the BZY Domain Tools to be a brilliant solution for problems domain and SSL related. It gives such simple control of exactly what domain is used for each page; all you need to do is specify all the pages that you want on your SSL domain and you're done.
Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  10:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devshb

see also:
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6498

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

YES! BYZ's Domain Tools is a fantastic and simple solution to handling who gets put into and taken out of SSL mode at what points of the site. Plus BYZ's customer service is EXCELLENT.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00