Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Bulk Import Utility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doberman61
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - June 22 2005 :  13:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right area to post this, but

I get the following message. Could someone please help me and explain why I am getting this messgae:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'

ActiveX component can't create object

/shopping/shopa_import.asp, line 524

Uploaded a file called online.txt to my shopping directory

online.txt contains the following:

"catalogid","cname","cdescription"
"150","Test Product","Tamiya <br> P/n: 999"

My Bulk dialog box is as follows:

File Name: online.txt
Table Name: products
match field: catalogid
delimiter: ,
desplay: yes

Thanks in advance for your help
Dennis

Edited by - doberman61 on June 22 2005 13:26:05

Edited by - doberman61 on June 22 2005 13:26:39

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - June 22 2005 :  21:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you are updating EXISTING products and you know the exact catalogid for the product, do not use catalogid. The "catalogid" is created by VPASP for each product, it is not something you can create. For new product tables, forget about "catalogid" altogether. Why did VPASP put this as default when it is totally confusing to do so?

Change your comma delimited file to: ccode, cname, cdescription, cimageurl,extendedimage, etc. (note that thumbnails are "cimageurl" and large graphics are "extendedimage").

Be sure to create the category FIRST in VPASP, note the number VPASP assigns the category you want to populate or update, and then in your table add ccategory with that specific number filled in for the entire column. Another MUST: be certain to create a column and title it "hide" (leave out my quotation marks of course) and in each cell of the column must be the word "FALSE" If you fail to do this, you may find your products show up when viewed in administration/products, but do not appear on the web site.

I found this all confusing at first, so for the benefit of anyone reading this hoping to get the darn bulk update to work, let me offer all this as steps:

1. create a category in VPASP, let's say, "Wigits"
2. once created, VPASP will assign a categoryid, let's say for example that it gave the category Wigits the categoryid of "10"
3. using Microsoft Access (or notepad, or any text editor) the top row of your table will be: row one cell A1 enter "ccode" (no quotes of course), in B1 type in "cname" in C1 "cdescription" D1 will be "ccategory" and E1 type in "hide" (no quotation marks, just the word)
4. each column heading is now done. Simply add your product code (like a catalog number or something) in the A2 "ccode" box (cell) the name of the product in B2, and so on. . .
5. in the "ccategory" column, every cell in the column must contain the number "10" so vpasp knows which category all your stuff (each row of your table) is going into - remember VPASP assigned Wigits categoryid "10"
6. in the "hide" column, every cell you use in the column must have the word "FALSE" in it.
7. upload your table (text format, not binary).
8. File Name: mylovelywigits.txt (or mylovelywigits.csv if saved with Access as CSV file)

In Bulk Update:

Table Name: products
Match Field: ccode (this is important!!: the first column of your uploaded table is what you enter here, "catalogid" is only used if a table is exported with existing products, then you change stuff like descriptions etc. or add graphics columns, etc., then you upload all these and "catalogid" works - because the products already exist on your site, and column 1 of your table is "catalogid")
Delimiter: , (always a comma, I don't know why the VPASP folks show a ";" when most people use Access and save as comma delimited)
Display: yes (no matter how well you do, odds are you will get some sort of error with one thing or another. Microsoft Access can do strange things behind the scenes that you do not see on your monitor, and these can make one or more of your rows generate another famous Microsoft error during update. If cut/pasting in Access, use "Paste Special" and paste with values only, not formatting)

If anyone spots a mistake in the above, please point it out so I don't mess anyone up!

P.S. - I use Access for updating, my site uses SQLServer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00