Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 UPS Shipping calculation before login page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fahim
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - June 22 2005 :  10:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like my clients to find out their UPS shipping charges before they login. Can any body please point me in the right direction here as to how to go about making that change?

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 24 2005 :  07:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to do the same. I'd like a shipping estimate to show up on the cart. I do not want customers to have to enter all their info to find out the shipping cost. I figured I would have to do some custom coding to get this, but if anyone else has done it, we'd love to hear about it. :)

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - June 24 2005 :  08:40:38  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I want this too! Simon Barnaby where are you? Please write this!

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 24 2005 :  10:27:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we haven't got an addon for sale which does this, as every shipping module would need to be coded up separately in a similar way to how the normal shipping have separate addons (ie you'd have one for ups, another for fedex etc; the solution would be bespoke to each shipping company/service)

There would be some common logic for the cart display and zip-entry-form related stuff etc, so we could create a set of common files which'd do those relevant bits, and then code-up each type (eg ups) separately on an as-needed basis.

We have applied this kind of logic before (although not as detailed as entering a zip/address; just using a default country and then showing/including the shipping costs in the cart/minicart).

My guess is that everyone would want something subtly different though, so every situation would be unique/custom, although a lot of the logic could be shared as a starting-point.

My suggestion would be that the 3 of you guys (and anyone else who wants the same thing) joins forces to fund the development of the common code, and then we can build the common logic for all those who've paid into the pot and work on it on a normal hourly basis. But, as I say, everyone'll probably want different functions (even though the general need is the same, people will all want different ways of achieving the result).

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - June 26 2005 :  00:35:22  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just need to ups one.. I am pretty sure you can just do a call on the ups.asp and pass the zip and weight to it..

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 26 2005 :  20:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For now, we just use really basic cost-based shipping table lookup...no real-time shipping calc. So, I can probably just lift the code for this from the checkout page to use in the cart.

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - June 27 2005 :  11:03:25  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it would be better to ue the shopupsreal.asp becasue it already has the call to UPS in it... Ill look at it and see what I can figure out.

Go to Top of Page

Fahim
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - July 07 2005 :  14:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any update guys?

Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 07 2005 :  16:04:10  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is all up to Simon the "MASTER" programer... Ill pass you the file if you need it simon... I looked into it and it is a bit more complicated then it looks. you can do a call straight into UPS. Here is a link to start ya... once you register you can download the programing book with all the variables needed to interface. http://www.ec.ups.com/ecommerce/gettools/gtools_intro.html

Simon... we do really need that price changer thingy we talked about. (where you can change prices by category or subcategories by percent or amount) I need that even more then I need the UPS one.....

Edited by - apswater on July 07 2005 16:05:35
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 08 2005 :  12:25:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

we'd be happy to do any of those aspects; we'd just do it on a straight-forward hourly rate basis.

I get so many emails/spams these days that sometimes some of the real emails go astray; if you're waiting on a quote/start on the price-changing thing then let me know.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 16 2005 :  01:53:06  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok Simon...Lets do it.. I really need the price changer (retail and selling price). I really like the other stuff I got from you.

Edited by - apswater on July 16 2005 01:55:08
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 16 2005 :  08:19:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok; cool; can you email me and then I'll email back with the relevant info/options etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Rolf Petersen
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - August 05 2005 :  11:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Rolf Petersen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was able to achieve this by putting a page in front of a interface into the UPS calculation (basically, I created a pop-up where customer could enter their zip code and choose either the weight of the packages in their cart or submit their own weight). Pressing calculate calls the UPS Real Time calculation.

See http://www.issidata.com and on the Add-to-cart page is a Freight calculator.

BSM-Enterprises
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - August 05 2005 :  12:08:22  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I WANT YOUR MOD!!! I love it... how can I get it?

Also, does your site map generate off the database? If so I want that too! Can you help us out?

www.labwater.com

Edited by - apswater on August 05 2005 12:13:53
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - August 08 2005 :  07:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, I would like to get a copy of that Freight Calculator too. Excellent website with a lot of nice changes!
Jeff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00