Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How do we add meta tags ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dgardner
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - June 15 2005 :  10:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Dgardner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do we add
individual title, mega tags, etc. to vpasp pages?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 15 2005 :  10:35:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
5.5 uses dynamic titles; you can turn that on via a config option (it's defaults to be off)

I think the option is in config>advanced

and is something like "xDynamicTitle"; just change that to Yes

and then go into config>merchant and enter your default title.

it doesn't use context-sensitive tags though, which is a shame.

the html file that holds your title tag should be:

<title><%shopdynamictitle%></title>

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on June 15 2005 10:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Dgardner
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - June 15 2005 :  10:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Dgardner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How would you recommend we handle the meta tags for product pages? Will I have to create html pages for each product that I list? That would be a very big negative for the software :-(

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 15 2005 :  11:23:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's lots of different ways of doing that without having to manually create separate tags/pages for each product. Some people have already posted some solutions to that elsewhere on the forum (not sure where though; do a search for tags and you should catch them).

I reckon the easiest way is to just use shopdynamictitle in the description meta tag in the same way that it uses it in the title. And you can use the products' keywords for the meta keywords (or break-out the shopdynamic title into separate words and just use that again), but that'd mean changing the dynamic title logic to also setup a new keyword variable.

ie in your shoppage_header.htm file (or, for example, if someone had implemented our panel splitter it'd be in panel_contents_tags.asp)

you'd change it from something like:

<meta NAME="description" CONTENT="We Sell Stuff.">

to something like:

<meta NAME="description" CONTENT="<%shopdynamictitle%>">

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

bme
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - June 15 2005 :  19:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is how I accomplished this on my category pages:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3576

Go to Top of Page

Tyssen
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - June 20 2005 :  22:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyssen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

5.5 uses dynamic titles; you can turn that on via a config option (it's defaults to be off)

I've been searching through the forums for the best way to implement dynamic titles/descriptions on our site and it seems like upgrading from 5.0 to 5.5 might be the only way to go.
But I'd like to know if 5.5 is a completely rewritten package or just a few additional files/modifications? Because I've spent quite a while rewriting various files to make them XHTML-compliant and to do away with tables in a lot of instances and I'm hesistant about upgrading if it's going to mean losing all that work or having to do it again.

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 24 2005 :  07:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tyssen-

v5.5 has many files that are changed over v5.0. Most have minor changes, but some are significantly different or new. Your concern over trying to incorporate your old fixes/customizations into the new upgraded files is a common (and very appropriate one). You can make this simpler by comparing your current files to the original ones you purchased. The differences you find will be the ones you want to consider incorporating into v5.5. A useful tool to do the compare for you is here:

http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/

Of course, you'll have to test and retest all your changes as you make the upgrade. You may find that some of your changes don't need to be ported as some things may be taken care of for you in v5.5.

For several of us who performed the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5 with lots of porting of customizations, it took around 1-2 days.

You might want to hold off on upgrading if you are already past your 1 year free upgrade period. There are hints of a new version coming out soon.

Go to Top of Page

Tyssen
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - June 28 2005 :  23:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Tyssen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might want to hold off on upgrading if you are already past your 1 year free upgrade period. There are hints of a new version coming out soon.

Yeah, we are out of the upgrade period.
I ended up working out my own solution which involved adding an include to shopheaders.asp.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00