Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Crazy slow loading asp pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  19:13:38  Show Profile  Visit johnrobinson@grahamcrackers.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I switched from unix/mysql hosting version 4.5 to windows/mysql version 5.5 and found search results were immensly improved.

Everything loaded quickly, justlike I wanted for almost a year now, until yesterday when the site suddenly slowed to a painful crawl.
HTML all loads up fine, but any asp pages (including adminstration pages) or search inquiries are horribly horribly painfully slow.
Naturally, as always most hosting company is saying it's not them. I repaired and optimized my database (not that this would have explained the admin pages taking so long (loading litterally one line at a time) - so it doesn't appear to be datbase related (as far as I can tell).

Has anyone ever had this happened to them, or can give me any possible tips that could cause it to go from wonderful to beyond painful?

To get an idea of how long it takes you can check out our site at:

http://www.grahamcrackers.com and try searching for anything...

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  11:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I did a search for "Tarzan" and it took about 15 seconds. I'm on an old Mac slow computer on cable modem. Search did not seem slow to me, at least based on familiarity with how long things take on this computer.

Seemed OK to me in terms of search/results speed. Maybe it's not your site, but your computer? The only reason I ask is a long-shot: yesterday, my PC had a microsoft notice as I'm set for automatic updates "your computer received a critical update." Everything (even using Word) was in slow motion, until I rebooted again.

I know everyone follows the microsoft #1 solution: reboot. But, just in case you haven't tried it. . .

Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  14:20:16  Show Profile  Visit johnrobinson@grahamcrackers.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I could say that I hadn't tried that, but I have. I've tried connecting to the site from multiple different computers and locations to no avail. ASP has just slowed down to a pathetic unworkable level.
I tried TARZAN and got about the same result as you, with one line of information coming out at a time. Reminded me of my old 300 baud modem days...
Has ANYONE ever run into this before or can think of anything that could cause this slow down to occur?? I'd be happy to try anything at this point, as I am once again losing sales from something that I seem to have no control over.

My hosting company even moved me to an application pool that I only share with one other person to see if it would make a difference.

thanks
--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  16:25:09  Show Profile  Visit johnrobinson@grahamcrackers.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone thinks they can resolve this issue that I'm having on my site, I'd be happy to pay for your services. I can not continue to hope that someone will post something that will send me on the right track.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail at:
[email protected]

thanks

--John
www.grahamcrackers.com
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  00:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John-

1) If you contact support, they will help you.
2) This does sound like server overloading or similar issue with your hosting. You could try an alternate host for free quickly and easily just to try it out. The hosting company I am with will let you try them out for free. Let me know if you want their info.
3) Do you have a local test server? Is it slow there, or does it work okay?

By the way, I did a search for "Tarzan" on your site just now and it took 30 seconds to respond, but when it did finally respond, all the items displayed almost instantly.

Have you tried an alternate search tool? I've seen several listed in the forum lately. I plan to try this one out: http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2210

But there is also this one:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3717

Edited by - greatphoto on May 22 2005 00:17:49
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  15:29:55  Show Profile  Visit johnrobinson@grahamcrackers.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So after having my site basically inoperable for the past 5 days, I've located the problem.

It turns out that the 1st line on shop$db.asp had been changed from response.buffer=TRUE to response.buffer=False.

I had two different people looking into different projects on my site, and one of them had made that change and evidently forgotten. I have no clue why but that one line cripples your entire site.

I found it by backtracking which files had been changed near the day my site started to die then I uploaded the backed up files (site worked immediately) then went back and compared line per line (luck for me it was LINE 1 on this file since it's so HUGE).

Appreciate the help GREATPHOTO, I was going to try your hosting company if this didn't fly.

Hopefully this post can help anyone else that runs into a problem like mine in the future.

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  18:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found it by backtracking which files had been changed near the day my site started to die then I uploaded the backed up files

Good idea! Congrats on getting it working! I know its TOUGH to have your site down.

"then went back and compared line per line (luck for me it was LINE 1 on this file since it's so HUGE)."

You don't have to do this manually. I frequently do such comparisons with various cart files. I use WinMerge (http://winmerge.sourceforge.net) to compare all the files in a directory automatically and am very happy with it.

Edited by - greatphoto on May 23 2005 18:18:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00