Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Grouped or bundled sets of individual products
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alindsey
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  14:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is there a way to have VPASP dynamically create grouped or bundled items (from individual items in the product table) and display them with the rest of the items in a category - and then, if the group or set is selected for ordering, to insert all the appropriate individual items into the shopping cart, along with a group discount?

For example, in one of many scenarios we have three items for sale individually - a power supply, a CD-GT1 guitar trainer unit, and a carry case with speakers. EAch of them exist as individual records in the products table with their own prices, pictures, etc., and can be purchased by themselves. Then we also sell the bundled set of all three at a price that reflects a discount over buying them separately.

What I'd like to do is have VPASP generate the bundled items dynamically (from some kind of "group" or "set" table that would identify the grouped items and their constituent parts) and display them with the individual products in category searches.

So far we've had to force it by creating another item that is the set or bundled "item". For a small number of bundled items, this isn't too bad, but we're to the place now where we need to have many of these bundles for the various (over 300) items we sell. In addition, that makes the inventory management difficult at best and inaccurate at worst.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alan Lindsey

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 21 2005 :  23:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan-

Have you looked at discounts based on group? See section 31 of http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasp550developer.pdf starting on page 114. With this, you could group the items as you describe. The individual items would still be displayed separately, and the customer would add each one to the cart individually. You would have to add text to each individual description saying "Save $20 when you purchase this item with an amp and guitar as a package"

I know this isn't ideal, but its the best solution I know of for now. I've been looking for something better for quite a while....

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - September 15 2005 :  12:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VP-ASP support has indicated to me that this will not be in version 6.0.

Is there interest in this as an add-on to VP-ASP? If so how would you want it to work? Two variations have been described to me. (1) One would add the bundle to the cart as a single item. (2) The other would add all the individual products to the cart at a discounted price. This is the way Amazon does it, for example. If you remove an item, the discount goes away. If it is added as a single item, there is no easy way to break it up into individual components (Method 1).

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - September 16 2005 :  09:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On one of my sites, I do it the way you describe as number 1 and I think that's the way I would prefer. At least that's the way my client has provided groupings as not all are alike and I haven't bothered to figure out if there's a set discount for the groups.

I'm not clear as to how you said Amazon does it. Does the customer have to select, let's say 3 individual products, or just one product that has the 3 individual items in it? Do you have an example there?
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - September 16 2005 :  09:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon does it as a special offer called "Best Value". If you click on the "Buy Both and Save" button, it will add both products to your cart at a bundled discount. If you remove either item from your cart, the discount is removed as well. See below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0064471195/qid=126633242/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9002440-9774341?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

In theory, you could have a number of products in a bundled special and a product could appear in more than one bundled special. I don't know if that is the case with Amazon or not, but I assume so.

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - September 16 2005 :  11:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I understand now. You'll love this. I like both variations.

Go to Top of Page

mitchman
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - October 20 2005 :  07:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an issue where if you buy 5 or more items from a group you recieve a 20% discount, however there are up charges for the features available and the cart doesn't include these up charges when applying the discount.
Example: Photo frames purchase of 5 16x20 frames -
Base Price for 5x7 frame is $16,
if you select 16x20 there is an up charge of $12 each

The price charged is:
5 x 16 = 80 - 20% = $60 + $60($12 per item up charge) is $120

Should be:
5 x 28 = 140 - 20% = $112

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly