Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Trying to use Access 2003 then up to SQL Server
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magnum-PC
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - April 30 2005 :  06:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Magnum-PC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all as you can probably tell I'm new to VP ASP and SQL Server, I've used MySql before but MS version first flight here.

I would like to use access 2003 to add products to my catalog then update to SQL server using access export feature to my webhost. Is there anything special I need to know? I have used import/export limited in the past but want to be very careful to not effect the SQL database tables I've created in SQL already.

Here are my thoughts on this. Connect to SQL server via Access, let it download the entire catalog from the server that has been installed so far and save as a mdb. Copy as a back up and save. Then add new products to db products in proper catagories, save and upload.

I do not plan on using it for images or extended descriptions, those I will add later through admin. I have many products to add that will be moved from excel spreadsheets to access then up to sql this way...

Does this sound correct in the description above? Honestly I'm just nervous of killing/corrupting my SQL database and starting over again...better safe than sorry I guess.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 30 2005 :  17:17:29  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
vpasp has an import tool, so you could export your access file to a csv file, and then import it straight to your vpasp (sqlserver) database through the vpasp admin import option.

That's for on-going maintenance. If you're after a general one-off conversion of a vpasp access database to sqlserver, then vpasp have a tool available for that too which'll copy all your access data to sqlserver, which I think is free and available on-request.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 30 2005 17:19:41
Go to Top of Page

Magnum-PC
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - May 01 2005 :  05:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Magnum-PC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks again...you are a great help around here :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00