Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 MS SQL Expertise Needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - April 18 2005 :  11:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would appreciate some feedback from anyone familiar with using MSSQL (or I guess any other database?) with VP-ASP.
My site is up and running, VPASP is great! Everything works very quickly at this point. I use Access to generate .csv, and use bulk upload.

Question: If I were to dump say, 5,000 products (or 10,000) into one category, what would the effect be to the online user? If the customer performed a search, would SQL become very slow in generating a result for the search?

If it does slow down, is there a reasonable limit for a category size, or are there other things to consider? For example, if several people are doing a search, and one person is searching a category with 5,000+ products, do the other people simply browsing around feel the slow-down?

Thanks very much to anyone that can respond.

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - April 19 2005 :  07:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no MS SQL expert but use it everyday. The slowness of just getting products from a category will not be that noticeable. The slowness will come in putting them into tables and waiting for the tables to be drawn. If you're using Access now, SQL will be much faster. I don't think you'll experience much problem with slowness among the different users.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

lynch
VP-CART New User

USA
74 Posts

Posted - April 19 2005 :  08:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with dcwebman -- even if you have thousands of items in a single category, SQL Server will not be the cause of delays. SQL Server is designed to handle such things. Access, on the other hand, would not be such a great choice for a large catalog, especially with many users.

The delay would come from serving the pages, if you display all those items at once. A category page with thousands of items will be very large, and downloading it to a web browser will be time-consuming.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00