Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 SKU
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bme
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - April 11 2005 :  19:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the xgeneratesku yes/no do?

Bill

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - April 16 2005 :  21:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I doubt this helps much, but the version 5.50 developer's guide says this:

"Yes - combines product code and codes defined in featureother field to generate a sku. This cannot be used with select lists since they both use the same field"

SKU stands for "Stock Keeping Unit" and is a unique name or number used to identify each different product you carry. We consider the ccode in the cart to be our SKU.

All this still doesn't tell us what the cart does with the value it creates when xgeneratesku is set. Anyone else?

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 17 2005 :  01:51:48  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a feeling that it just adds the generated SKU to the item-name in the cart (ie the order item line's description), but I don't think it does anything else with it (although I could easily be wrong on this one).

I'd guess it's for merchants who can then spot the SKU from the order quickly/easily so that they know which physical product to pick-out from their warehouse etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - April 17 2005 :  19:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Yes - combines product code and codes defined in featureother field to generate a sku. This cannot be used with select lists since they both use the same field"

The person that wrote the above could certainly get a job at Microsoft. . .

Edited by - rvaga on April 17 2005 20:00:28
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 19 2005 :  08:11:07  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

xgeneratesku will do the following:

Combine the value in the ccode field(products table) with the value in the featureother field(prodfeatures table) to generate a unique value for a product depending on which feature is chosen. The format of this value is as follows:
ccodevalue-featureothervalue.

This is simply a display value, and is stored in the oitems table as part of the itemname field.

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - April 19 2005 :  21:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah...the significant thing here was "featureother"...I bet this is meant to be used with product features. The product has one unique ccode that can be used as the SKU when features aren't used. However, when features are used, the ccode SKU wouldn't be unique for each item size/color, etc. By using xgeneratesku, you get a unique SKU for each item. I didn't realize this before since I don't use features because they are not compatible with inventory control.

Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - April 20 2005 :  15:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're all wrong.

I know for a fact it's an Aussie phrase, said to me many times, usually followed by the word "you."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00