Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Better error handling for Required Features
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wws
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 03 2005 :  11:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those products that require a feature to be selected and the customer does not, the error handling is not very customer friendly. You end up on a page that simply says:

Feature is required for Product blah blah blah - Colors:

Then there is a single link to "Home"

This is not very helpful to the customer, especially the link to home. If anything, a "Back" link would be helpful, but the best thing would be to have this error generate at the top of the page the customer is trying to order the product from.

Anyone do anything similar to this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 04 2005 :  15:06:38  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Locate the following line in shoperror.asp

Response.write "<a href=" & home & ">" & getlang("LangCommonHome") & "</a>"

Change it to

If getsess("CurrentURL")<>"" then
Response.write "<a href=" & getsess("CurrentURL") & ">" & getlang("LangCommonPrevious") & "</a>"
else
Response.write "<a href=" & home & ">" & getlang("LangCommonHome") & "</a>"
End If

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

wws
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - March 05 2005 :  13:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, that works for now. However, I do not have LangCommonPrevious in my languages, but I changed it to LangPrevious instead and it works fine.

Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - February 14 2008 :  00:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be better if a pop-up or alert box appeared on that product page where they tried to buy the product instead of taking them to another page.

A side note here. Products added to the wishlist can be bought from the wishlist WITHOUT the required feature. Very Bad

Edited by - saki on February 14 2008 00:34:57
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  13:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, it doesn't actually work for me anyway! If I've just come from a category display, which was reached via

shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=n&cat=Accessories

and then attempted to order a product without a required feature, the above code simply generates

shopdisplayproducts.asp

as the url, without the parameters. I find that

Response.Write "<button onclick=history.go(-1);­ return false;>Back</button>"

generates a much more visible button and takes you back to exactly where you came from. But I'm sure someone will tell me why this isn't the right thing to do?!

Also, as saki said, you can add items to the cart WITHOUT a required feature from the random product display

_Ade.
Go to Top of Page

mrmcgroovy
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - January 31 2011 :  15:33:10  Show Profile  Visit mrmcgroovy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem with version 7...it's still not very user friendly when it goes to a new page and the error message is actually rather cryptic for the average user. I searched for the code snippet mentioned above, but it's not in shoperror.asp in version 7 (or else it's changed). Does anyone know where this moved to?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00