Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Problem: V5.50 Empty Cart but cookies are enabled!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - January 29 2005 :  15:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone-

I have been using my cart for over a year. I do have cookies enabled, and normally the cart works fine. However, it is not working on my public site at the moment.

I get the following error message from VP-ASP when I attempt to add a product to the cart and then display the cart:

Your Shopping Cart is Currently Empty. You might choose to:

* Continue Shopping

* Return to the homepage

* If you received this page after attempting to place an item in our shopping cart, it is most likely because you are not currently accepting cookies in your browser. Our system currently cannot keep track of items you have placed in your shopping cart unless you accept cookies. If you find this to be a problem, please email us to let us know.

This message is nicely formated and has a box drawn around it. This is not my normal "Cart is Empty" message that normally occurs if a session has timed out. I never saw this message before I upgraded to V5.50, and even then have only seen it occasionally when the cart was not working correctly.

This current occurance was brought to my attention by a customer who claims to have cookies enabled, and I have confirmed the problem from my own office.

Any ideas? Do you know what generates this new error screen in VP-ASP, and what triggers it?

Thanks,
Nathan

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - February 01 2005 :  18:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump. No-one has had this issue or knows anything about it?

Update on this:
Site is still down after 4 days. Customers are complaining. Others are just going away. This is intermittent, so sometimes it works and other times it does not. I'm getting desperate.

I've been actively debugging. Support told me this isn't a new error message. It existed in 5.0 as well. That means, I ran for over a year with a cart that could have shown the message but never did. Something changed recently.

I narrowed this down to be a problem with session variables not getting set using diag_sessionlist.asp. However, noone in VP-ASP support or my Host support has been able to figure out why this might occur.

I would normally focus on the host to see if there is a problem there, but this has also been occuring on my own local PC hosting the local test site! That PC is running Windows 2000 with "Personal Web Manger Version 5.0"

I have been able to consistently get it to work when it is failing by first logging in as an existing customer. This makes it work for a while, even if I logout (shopend.asp?end=1) and try it again! However, at the same time, I have had friends test it from separate networks and it continues to fail for them.

Support had me check for any change I might have made to shopproductselect.asp or shopaddtocart.asp. I had made a minor mod to shopproductselect.asp, so I overwrote that with a brand new copy of the file from the original purchase, but there was no change.

I've exchanged many emails with support, and they have even logged into my site administration to study the problem. They have not been able to solve it.

My host states that they have not changed anything on their servers or network. They have no idea why session variables are not getting set.

Having the store down like this is obviously bad....

Go to Top of Page

shopcomputer
VP-CART New User

USA
57 Posts

Posted - February 02 2005 :  07:34:31  Show Profile  Visit shopcomputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you try testing with a different host?

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - February 02 2005 :  19:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and no.

I do have the site hosted locally and it has failed there as well. I have not tried out a new public hosting company, though I am considering it. In the past, I have been very pleased with the support and performance of my hosting company, so I don't want to rush to leave them....but if the concensus is thats where the problem is then I'll certainly do it.

Go to Top of Page

ez_systems
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - February 10 2005 :  07:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3.50b and the same problem here. I get the message
Your Shopping Cart is Currently Empty. You might choose to:
Continue Shopping

If you received this page after attempting to place an item in our shopping cart, it is most likely because you are not currently accepting cookies in your browser. Our system currently cannot keep track of items you have placed in your shopping cart unless you accept cookies. If you find this to be a problem, please email us to let us know.
----------------------------------------------------
My cart is down also. Need help

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 14 2005 :  00:02:27  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ez_systems,

Please contact us through our helpdesk and our support team will try to assist you.
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk/

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - February 14 2005 :  21:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on this:

I must say I'm rather disappointed in the forum participation on this issue. After all the help I've given on the forum, I thought more people would help out when I was in need, or at least show some care for what was going on...

Support really came through on this once the right guys got involved and they saw for themselves that it was a problem. They worked this problem for days. They ended up downloading my entire site to their local server! They were able to show that this was not a hosting problem. They made a tweak to the code, and it appears to be working since. I say "appears" because I haven't seen or heard of a failure, but it could still happen for occasional customers without my knowledge.

I have to say a MAJOR THANK YOU TO SUPPORT! When I really needed them, they were there!

Its really odd that others haven't had this trouble other than ez_systems.

Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - February 15 2005 :  06:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still setting up my first VP-ASP site so I couldn't really help on your issue. I have found that a lot of my posts in the forums go unanswered but the helpdesk is really wonderful. Would you please mind sharing what the tweak was to the code so we don't have the same problem you did?
Thanks,
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

atari
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - February 15 2005 :  15:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was unjust wringing us out for not helping you. It's simple, no one knew how to fix your problem. I've never seen it before, don't know how to create it, so how can I try to debug it? I don't have the time to download your entire site, so that leaves it up to support.

calm down, be happy that VPASP has one badass support team.

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  00:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would you please mind sharing what the tweak was to the code so we don't have the same problem you did?

It seems that others on the forum are starting to see issues that could be similar to this in that they are likely related to session variables intermittently not getting set. Here are a few:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3716
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3629

The solution from Cam was this:
He edited shopdisplayproducts.asp to add a single line. Just after line 47, he added "ShopInit"

So, the file changes from this:

dim rc
' end mod
'*****************************************************
' open database and see if we are doing with html or not
' See if this is a next page request or first time
'******************************************************
initializesystem

To this:

dim rc
' end mod
'*****************************************************
' open database and see if we are doing with html or not
' See if this is a next page request or first time
'******************************************************
ShopInit
initializesystem

Please post here if you have similar problems and try this solution. Let us know if this fixes it. This might help narrow down the source of the problem.

(Note that this problem shouldn't be limited just to my site. Cam replaced all the files thought to be related to this with original official copies from VP-ASP to make sure my mods weren't the issue. Even with this, he still reproduced the problem on a clean test server hosted by him. So that rules out server overload or other server problems. Since we haven't seen an explosion of problems in the forum, perhaps its limited to certain configurations, such as heavily split databases.)

UPDATE [5/23/05]:
removed following from above list as it was solved by switching hosts:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3702

Edited by - greatphoto on May 22 2005 01:00:10

Edited by - greatphoto on May 23 2005 18:24:17
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  14:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the info, greatphoto. I tried it, but the boogey-man showed up again (unknownlanguage). I can't find any means to cause this, there is no rhyme or reason for when it happens. Someday. . .

Interesting, though. I searched all VPASP files for both ShopInit and initializesystem. Both exist in various places.

Question is, what's the difference between the two terms?

Are they interchangeable in the land of asp, or (more to my hopes), can I drop the "ShopInit" into asp files without doing any harm, and maybe clear up my UnknownLanguage issue?

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  21:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome!

quote:

can I drop the "ShopInit" into asp files without doing any harm, and maybe clear up my UnknownLanguage issue?

I think its safe to put ShopInit wherever you want, though I'm not sure if it will help or not. Have you talked to support about the issue you are seeing? I'm sure they would be good help for you.

ShopInit is a VP-ASP subroutine that is defined in shop$dp.asp starting on line 421 (in version 5.50). This is my own interpretation of what I found there, but is not based on a completely thorough analysis: It first checks to see the session is active before doing any action by checking the INIT session variables. If it does do action, and setting up the application variables is successful, then it sets the INIT variable so it won't act the next time it is run, unless one of the following happens before the next time it runs:
  • its the first time its been run since a customer visited the site and started a new session.

• The session was somehow lost

• shopa_configclear.asp has been run previously

• shopadmin.asp (or your renamed version) has been run previously

quote:

ShopInit and initializesystem... Question is, what's the difference between the two terms? Are they interchangeable in the land of asp,

initializesystem is another subroutine. Its definition starts on line 2135 of the same file. It appears to open and close the database which somehow must be significant.

Go to Top of Page

jsbeads
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - June 09 2005 :  08:21:55  Show Profile  Visit jsbeads's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In version 3.5 the ShopInit function appears in Shop$db.

I was told years ago to always include this file.

Go to Top of Page

kaudio
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - June 23 2005 :  00:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Its been a while since I have been on this forum so please bear with me. I have the exact same problem as listed before. The only difference is I have custom pages that use forms to add products to the shopaddtocart.asp and I get that same problem. Customers will try to add a product and will get that no items in shopping cart. Their cookies are enabled and sessions are set. I myself have this problem on my pc and others and I have asked support but they dont know what it is. I have had customers add, add, and try again and again to add with no luck. The only temp fix I have found is that I direct them to shopend.asp and then they are able to go back to the page and add the product. I am still trying to find a fix for this...anyone with any other update on this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 23 2005 :  02:43:27  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's a long-shot, but are your links for add-to-cart pointing to a different domain than the user uses to get to the product page(s) ?

eg:
http://www.yoursite.com/shopexd.asp?id=1

for the product detail page

and:

http://yoursite.com/shopaddtocart.asp

for add-to-cart (ie some with "www" and some without)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

kaudio
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - June 23 2005 :  18:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, my pages are mysiite.com/shop/product1.asp and that has a form to post to mysite.com/shop/order/addproducttocart.asp. All the same url and I am not sure what causes this. Also I am hosting the site on 2 front end servers that I host myself so no problem with the host company. I appreciate your response any additional help you can offer.

Jeff

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00