Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Electronic Gateways
 Can I forget about Credit cards altogether
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OceanArtwork
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - January 24 2005 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Visit OceanArtwork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am just starting my web site using VPASP
I was thinking; to start with I would forget about taking the customer credit card details altogether.
I would send them bank account details so they can direct deposit
I think this would be a good option to start with (it works all right on Ebay)
The cost of a merchant account and a gateway is not viable for starting up
I was looking at Paypal but now .......I am a bit suspect on gateways that hang on to your money ( for any period of time)and have found plenty of sites that bag Paypal (people who have never got their money from Paypal)so Im not real keen on them either
My question is it as simple as turning off credit cards in the admin ???
Then in the email that is sent out to the customer have a message that goes something like this "At this point we do not support credit card transactions you can pay for your item by direct depositing to this account(details here) or sending a cheque etc etc as soon as payment has cleared into our account we will ship your item off to you"
To set up a gateway with National bank in Australia ( thats where I am) will cost me $350 setup and then around $45 a month, then 55cents a transaction this seems to be the best deal I can find ( they have there own secure SSL form which when the transaction is complete sends the buyer back to the sellers site so you dont need to purchase an ssl cert then all money is deposited into sellers account at the end of the business day ).....but really I cant justify the cost when I know I probably wont make many sales for the first few months
As I said I was looking at Paypal but have been scared off
Also in Australia you must have a merchant ID or acount to accept credit cards .........Is Paypal the only gateway that you dont need one i.e: can you accept monies from gateway company into any bank account??
Any Ideas or recomendations of other banks or gateways appreciated especially from other VPASP users in Australia
thanks
Dan

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - January 28 2005 :  12:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your situation I suggest that you enable "Other Payment" Method and list Money Order or Check as an example. Therefore, they can order, proceed to using the shopping cart and on the end, the only payment method available is Money Order or Check.

Check this vpasp link
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_creditcards.htm

Go to Top of Page

PhilWilliams
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - February 08 2005 :  21:47:10  Show Profile  Visit PhilWilliams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan,
Just joined this group, as I'm converting to VP-ASP from Cyberstrong's eShop.

My experience with paypal has been, quite frankly, very good. Given that I'm the US, the experience is, perhaps a bit more predicatable than in other countries, but I've really never had an issue with it. I do also take credit cards (VISA, M/C, Discover, and American Express) as I've got a merchant account, but I don't use a gateway for the credit cards. Only the Point of Sale terminal.

I'd actually recommend to you that you DO try paypal AND money orders/checks to start out, 'cause a lot of folks want to lay their money down, and it's a pain to do wire transers (at least in this part of the world...). Just my 2 cents.
Best,
Phil

Phil Williams
http://www.photosolve.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00