Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Making use of the other#
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trev1982
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  03:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Does anyone know how to make use of the other fields?

i.e other4 and other5. All I want to do is display the text written in these fields...?

2. Does anyone know how to add new fields, i.e other6 etc...?

Terry

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  05:11:05  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
normally you'd do this by first ensuring that you use vpasp's html templates, and then you'd just add the relevant template-field in your product template files. add a $ to the very front of a line in the template if you only want the surrounding html to show if there's a value in the column

eg:

$<br>My Label: [other1]

(to show a products.other1 column)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 19 2005 05:13:16
Go to Top of Page

Trev1982
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  05:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok cheers, but how do I add a new other e.g other6?

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you run out of other columns and you need more, you'll have to physically create the new column in the database, but you'd also need to change the edit-products screen so that you can maintain/view its value.

I don't think you'd need to change anything else other than the edit-products admin screen, because all the product-related areas of vpasp will automatically pick-up and be able to use all product columns (even new ones) from the record when processing products.

You could also try using some of the seemingly irrelevant columns that you might not be already using (eg if you don't use "mfg" to hold a manufacturer, then you could use that for holding something completely different)

Having said that, if I were a merchant I'd be asking my developer questions about why so many "other" columns are being used because the relevant info might well be best placed somewhere else (either in another table or in another column) - I'd be worried if I were working on a site that used more than 3 or 4 other columns unless there's something very strange/specific about the business behind it where no other option can be used.
For example, if using "other1" to hold a status code, and "other2" is used to hold a status description, then you should get rid of the use of other2 and use a reference table instead.
If you're using them to hold something like image names (eg multiple-images per product) then I'd say that should be using a subordinate image table instead. Anyway, that's just a personal view just to double-check you're not being steered in the wrong direction by someone against your will!

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

shopcomputer
VP-CART New User

USA
57 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  07:35:36  Show Profile  Visit shopcomputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If other tables are used, can you still use shopquery.asp using a field in a other table?

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  14:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, in the case of the products table, the spare fields provided in VPASP are labeled pother1 - pother5. The shopadmin.asp does not display the "p", but in your html template files you must. e.g. [pother1].

Also, if you are using mysql, a shareware app called mysqlfront appears to be a good tool for managing mysql databases, including adding tables/fields.

Go to Top of Page

Dulrr
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - January 31 2005 :  11:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Dulrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can get a program to physically edit the database, I strongly recommend adding new fields when needed and giving them properly descriptive names. Simply calling the field "other" doesn't help other members of your buisness much. For example, for the custom discount structure I had to write for our cart we needed a few extra fields in our customers and products tables - so instead of using 'other' fields, I added columns with names that related to the info expected.

~D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00