Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Change table widths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mallory8851
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - December 12 2004 :  12:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an easy way to change out table widths. I am using templatesfor products but something is still blowing out my page. In addition i want to change the add to cart table because it is blowing out my design and checkout section too.

thanks

TM

you can view it at http://www.creator.net/inspectionwise/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=7&cat=Inspection+Wise

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 12 2004 :  13:37:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shop$colors.asp has most of the table/column widths; just do a text search for "width" within that file and you should catch most of them, especially the cart table settings.

For ours, we basically took out all the widths completely from shop$colors.asp as we just use the higher-level site/panel tables instead, as all the sub-tables within the system will then adjust properly if they're left with blank/default widths.

ie we start with the highest level tables (entire browser/site) and then work inwards; the more inwards you go, the less you should need to specify the widths/heights (apart from things like login mini-forms which you might want to give fixed-point widths). Ideally once you get inwards to a certain point, you should no longer need to specify any widths as that'd just squish your tables needlessly in lots of instances; the my-account table/screen is a classic example of that, as it often gets very squished by default if your higher levels tables are set normally, whereas if you leave that table width blank then it'll sort itself out regardless of what's going on in all the surrounding panels.

(but make sure you backup your shop$colors.asp file before doing that!)

Having said all that, in some instances your content for a given page might force a page to be wider than the higher-level table if the content within it can't be shrunk down any more by the browser because there's a minimum physical width that it'd take up given the values that are being shown; this is what's happening on your checkout screen; you'd need to move the shipping form below the customer form, or shrink the fields to make the page fit in, widen the overall page, or decrease the margins.

I'm all for avoiding specifying widths/heights wherever possible, because that's the best way to show things in browsers of various sizes; really you should only need to specify margins, and top-level tables/columns for the panels; everything else should really be automatic/blank.

It's the high-level tables which are the really nasty thing; once you've got those right the rest of your site will always fall into place (see also the notes mentioned on our panel-splitter: http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=26)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 12 2004 14:00:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000