Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Known problem with Wishlist in Version 5.5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - December 09 2004 :  23:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This is a long posting but it will be worth fixing. Pls. continue to read. This is about the wishlist facility. This applies to all merchants who use the Wishlist facility and inventory control feature in version 5.5.

Typical Scenario in Version 5.5

You are selling a Cotton Tshirt. We will call this Cotton Tshirt as your "Parent Product". Under the Cotton Tshirt are sizes of Small, Medium and Large. We'll call this sizes as your "child products".

Problem:
If you notice, you'll see that the "Save wishlist" link appears in between the green "Inventory" word and "Tell a friend" link on the parent product table.

The problem is on the "Save Wishlist" link. The "Save wishlist" link should not be available in the Parent Product. Or else the customer is "saving" the parent product instead of the child product that they meant to buy later.

Challenges:

If your customers use the "Wishlist" facility which is a pretty common feature in a shopping cart they would produce three bad results

a) When they order an item from a saved wishlist, it will tell them that the "Quantity Exceeds the stock limit". Why? because you don't normally put stock number on the parent product. You do that in your child products because that's the whole point of the new Inventory table in version 5.5.

b) If by any chance and you put some stock number on your parent product, the order will go through, but hey, you don't get the correct size or feature of the item that the customer ordered. Why? Because techinically, customers don't know that they ordered the parent product.

c) You'll lose business because customers have no patience to contact you. They walk away thinking, "Oh, it's out of stock". Or you need to put extra leverage to call back all your customers to ask "by the way, what size of tshirt did you order?"

Suggestions to fix the problem:

The "Save Wishlist" link should NOT be available in the parent folder. Instead, it should appear per shopexd.asp of the child product. For every size of the shirt, there should be a "save wishlist" link.

Support's solution is to turn off wishlist link and just use the save cart feature. But, I still want to use wishlist. Instead of turning away from the problem, I believe that just needs to be dealt with and corrected for positve long term results.

The biggest problem of all, I can only report the problem but I don't know much of asp to fix it! Please HELP!

Edited by - keng on December 09 2004 23:06:42

Edited by - keng on December 09 2004 23:07:45

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - December 12 2004 :  01:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To follow up this one, VPASP support helped me fixed this problem. They sent me a corrected version of shopwishlist file.

Thanks Support for always helping us all!

Go to Top of Page

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - December 17 2004 :  11:05:36  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Support sent you the fix for the wishlist bug but I don't see it on the listing of known bugs. This is what I mean when I said that support needs to be more proactive communicating bugs and sharing fixes. Even if it is based on different website configurations, if another user finds it useful, then it can be used. I would hate to encounter such problems when a customer is doing the purchase or transaction.

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - December 18 2004 :  00:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Support sent you the fix for the wishlist bug but I don't see it on the listing of known bugs. This is what I mean when I said that support needs to be more proactive communicating bugs and sharing fixes. Even if it is based on different website configurations, if another user finds it useful, then it can be used. I would hate to encounter such problems when a customer is doing the purchase or transaction.

Exactly! That's why I am posting the follow up here.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00