Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Electronic Gateways
 PayPal Usage With v5.5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdkerr
Starting Member

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - November 26 2004 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Visit jdkerr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am just setting up a new shop and will be using PayPal to accept payments. In the testing that I have done, I have found that I can get the order entered on my system, it will spawn the PayPal session, take the necessary information and do the transaction.

But.. The returning to my web page is not as seemless as i think it should be, and the result codes seems to be cryptic.

Right now, when you finish the transaction at PayPal, you have to manually press a button to RETURN to the originating web site (my shopping cart). I found that not everyone is pressing the return-to-website button, so the transaction is not completed according to VPASP - yet I receive email notification from PayPal to say it was completed. If the user selects the return-to-website option, everything progresses just fine.

Should the return-to-website be seemless to the user, or is this the way it is set to work?

I suspect there might be some options in the PayPal site under "Profile", "Website Payment Preferences" that might fix this for me. Right now, I have the following options set:
- Auto Return: Off
- Return URL: blank
- Payment Data Transfer (optional): Off
- Encrypted Website Payments: Off
- Contact Telephoen Number: Off

Is this what everyone else is using?

The last question around valid transactions.. Today when a transaction is completed, I get the following as the result code (oauthorization) being: refno= status=
I would have thought it would be more "explicit" but maybe not.

Appreciate any feedback.

John

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - November 30 2004 :  16:06:57  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I myself had this same problem.

I switched from the paypal gateway to the paypal IPN gateway. You will get the authorization status in your shopping cart order letting you know the transaction is complete and non fraudulent and you can set it to automaticallt return the user to your webpage. When it auto returns the users to the webpage, there is a delay before the customer gets forwarded back to your webpage. I think it is 3 seconds, but it might be 6 seconds. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Since switching to the paypal IPN gateway I noticed a higher ratio of people going back to my website after completing thier order.

There are s me people who just close the browser as soon as the paypal transaction is complete so the 3 or 6 second delay doesn't transfer you fast enough. There is nothing you can do about the delay, paypal controls that and they won't switch it, I have asked.

Hope this helps.

Brian Weber
BMW Solutions, LLC
http://www.bmwsolutions.com/shopping

Go to Top of Page

OceanArtwork
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - January 06 2005 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Visit OceanArtwork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi i am currently setting up my VPASP shopping cart and was looking at Paypal for credit card transactions but this post in the VPASP forum has me worried ,is the situation still like this and if so is it a huge problem , or has paypal fixed it.
Does it hinder the shopping cart
any help appreciated
Dan http://www.oceanartwork.com

Go to Top of Page

Lori Titus
VP-CART New User

144 Posts

Posted - January 08 2005 :  09:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Lori Titus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently switched to VPASP 5.5, and set up the PayPal and Authorizenet gateways. I was very happy -- they both worked perfectly the first time I implemented it, no problems. Just follow the directions.

I'll take that back -- I had a few problems with receiving payments but not receiving orders, but that seems to have resolved itself. I've been very happy with 5.5 so far.

The Internet's #1 supplier of honey and beeswax.

Edited by - Lori Titus on January 08 2005 09:15:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00