Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 shopcheckout customization help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 17 2004 :  11:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are way too many screens used for the checkout process (vpasp 5.0 with a gateway). I find it ridiculous that my customers have to go through the shopcheckout.asp page only to click that they want to pay with a credit card. I understand that this page validates data, but why not have this data validated elsewhere? Shopcheckout.asp should only by displayed when there are choices for payment options.

Anyway, I'm looking for customization help to have an automatic url-forward to the gateway's page when shopcheckout does not find any errors. This would allow shopcheckout to intervene only when it finds errors, otherwise, it will not even be displayed to my customers.

Thanks,
Natalie

Edited by - calliope on November 17 2004 12:38:35

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 17 2004 :  16:08:57  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're right; the "press here to pay by card" page is totally spurious if you're only allowing one payment method.

we've implemented auto-forwarding logic for various gateways so that the user gets the effect of going from the order-confirmation page straight to the actual gateway enter-card detail screen, and if they press the cancel button on the gateway or their payment gets rejected then they return to the (previously hidden) "try again-press here to pay by card" page.

It depends which gateway you're using, but generally the logic to do this is the same.

Feel free to email us if you want this applied to your site/gateway; it's quite a quick/easy thing to do.
Usually we'd also review the fields within the gateway page at the same time as often they don't pass across all the values they should by default.

(However, please note; if anyone else is reading this and thinking of applying this change; you still need to go through shopcheckout.asp or whatever your checkout page is, it's just that it should be hidden and auto-forwarded when things are done)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 17 2004 16:22:05
Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 17 2004 :  19:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon-
I'm glad to hear that it's an easy fix. I hope you can post the instructions here so others can also apply it. Or do you mean to sell it?
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 17 2004 :  20:01:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd have to check with my boss, but in my view gateway changes like that are something that are too sensitive/important to build generic changes/addons for without manually checking the context/site first.

In our experience, each site processes their orders/payments/gateways in subtly different ways, and each situation that we've dealt with for this has needed small tweaks to make sure they work as planned.

For example, some gateways use fields which have reserved names which needed to be changed to un-reserved names in order to work.

The changes are quite small, but need to be applied extremely precisely/carefully.

So I think that generally we would only do this on a site-by-site basis rather than selling it as an addon. We've got all the relevant code/logic for it, but it's too delicate an area to post instructions for or sell as an addon as we could potentially get people coming back to us saying "you broke my payments" if we don't get a chance to check the site's existing logic first.

I guess we might offer it as a kind of pseudo-product, applying the change for someone at a fixed fee which would equate to the price of such an addon.

I shall email my boss and check out his views.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - November 17 2004 :  20:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to your response!

Go to Top of Page