Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Not informed of bugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - October 01 2004 :  05:38:45  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find it strange that the support staff doesn't contact VPASP buyers nor it posts updated files and/or known bugs/glitches to the forum. I just found out about a glitch with the gift certificate module. I did not find anything on the "known bugs" section nor I ever received an update email from the support staff advising me of this glitch so I could be aware and fix it.

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - December 17 2004 :  11:08:06  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See example:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3312

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 17 2004 :  11:19:01  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's just a question of time-lag; those problems will end up in the documented list of bugs in the end.

What I'd find useful is an easily-found single-point of entry for viewing the bugs, as I always seem to have to jump through hoops to find all the relevant pages.

On the plus side, at least vpasp don't try to pretend that they don't have any bugs, unlike people like microsoft who pretend everything's fine and then wait for hackers to find the problems for them.

For security-related bugs, vpasp do seem to put them straight into the forum and elsewhere with lots of shouty text to make sure people spot it, although there haven't been any security-related bugs for absolutely ages as far as I know.

Having an open-attitude to people reporting bugs like vpasp do is a great way to do things; there'll always be bugs in software of this size with some permutations; they seem happy to fix them if people find any.

(we have the same kind of attitude; nobody's perfect, and if someone spots a problem then we'll admit it and fix it. we'd have done that anyway, but it's always nice when people like vpasp also adopt that attitude; makes for a happy community!)

In a perfect world, it'd be cool if vpasp had an equivalent of WindowsUpdate where you could just press a button to see if you've got all the fixes in place and then get the relevant changes shown with an option of download or manual-fix. We've started to steer things in that direction for our stuff, allowing people to put the version numbers and descriptions of their byz software elements into their database so they can check for updates and see what they've got installed.

Anyway; a single/easy-to-find link to vpasp bugs/fixes would be very much appreciated.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 17 2004 11:38:04
Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - December 17 2004 :  11:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both of you.

If you notice, for any bug I find, I always follow up on this forum what/how it got fixed. In fairness to Support, I always let them know first and wait until they fix it. If they can't resolve it, then I go to the forum (I just use my judgement whether it's something that I can publicly post or not to avoid a possible invitation to hackers).

I hope to set an example to other merchants. I hope that you would also be willing to share bugs that people may not noticed easily but is important by posting them in the forum.

As usual, I never forget to give credit to VPASP support bec. like devhsb said, Support has never denied any bug. They are always responsive and happy to help merchants.

Edited by - keng on December 17 2004 11:46:36

Edited by - keng on December 17 2004 11:48:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00