Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Second Website Installation Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeberlan
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - September 04 2004 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get write permission on a second ODBC.
I've been using VPASP for about 5 months for a client. I now want to duplicate this site on my dev PC for another client. I've created a new virtual site under IIS and copy/pasted the first site. Then setup a new database in the same folder as the original site. The original site still passes all the permissions tests, but the new one gives me this:
Database Read Database can be read
Database Write Database cannot be written
Verify that the database is in a folder that has both read and write access
Microsoft Message
Open Messages
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

Error count=2
Error #-2147467259
Error desc. -> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.
Error #-2147217887
Error desc. -> Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.
Database Permissions Database permissions tested OK

I changed the odbc to the original db and I get the same result.
These are independant sites and will be on different hosts, but I need this working on my pc to test the sites.

lynch
VP-CART New User

USA
74 Posts

Posted - September 07 2004 :  07:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the security properties on the folder where you have the database. The IIS process user ID doesn't have write access to that folder. That ID is something like IWAM_[servername]. Make sure that ID has the right permissions, and everything should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - September 08 2004 :  03:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is for setting up on a local server only but this faq may help out.

http://www.yourvirtualstore.net/rocksalt_v.5/faqs.asp?id=75

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

jeberlan
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - September 11 2004 :  18:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks this is driving me crazy!
I've now got three different "websites" running locally on my pc for testing. Two of them, once I figured out the security settings for the db folder, have never failed to write when I've asked them to. The third (most recent) site seems to go in and out of write permission whenever if feels like it. All three db's are in the same folder! All are using the same db setup (ODBC). I've tried rebooting to change the write permissions back, no change. As silly as it sounds I can go to one of the older sites, do some updates in it and then return to the cranky site and it will have returned to write capable. It sounds crazy, but I can't find a pattern.

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - September 16 2004 :  18:51:58  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are each of these sites you're working with actually defined as different sites in IIS, or are they just virtual directories under another site?

Your problem sounds kind of like a problem I have had with setup before: 2 VP-ASP carts on the same site. It doesn't work since they both use the same site-wide application variables that are initiated when the cart is accessed. Once the variables are loaded for one cart, for example, if you go to the other cart while the application state is still "active" and the first cart's values are still in there, they will be applied to that second site.

That scenario doesn't sound exactly the same as the problem you're having but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000