Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Version 5.5 upgrade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wft
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - September 01 2004 :  05:13:13  Show Profile  Visit wft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to acknowledge the smooth utility to upgrade from version 5 to version 5.5.

I upgraded it smootly. the help file is documented very well and easy to follow.

after database upgrade, then update the new paypal gateway to version5.5. my site is now live and have version5.5 within 30 minutes.

I am still new with version5.5. will take some time to explore new functions/features though.

in essence, Nice preparation for the upgrade, thank you!!

since it's new i would love to hear from issues that you guys may face. please share your experience here.

thanks
jim

affordable vpasp templates/skins

Edited by - wft on September 01 2004 10:05:31

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - September 11 2004 :  12:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded from 5.00 to 5.50. I had an excellent upgrade experience. The vpasp part was easy. It just took me so much time to put back the extra hard coding of my files and remembering to copy over the templates I have from 5.00 to 5.50. The advantage though is I have a good excuse to document now what I really did in 5.00 :) So, the more hard code and customization you have the more it takes time obviously.

I timed it, the conversion itself is quick but it took me approximately 9 hours to make sure everything is alright! Well, one day of work is worth it with all the improvements I have.

Now, I'm back on track with my shop running 5.50. I give VPASP an A+++ !!!! Very good.

Go to Top of Page

uksports
Starting Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - October 06 2004 :  16:07:12  Show Profile  Visit uksports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have just upgraded to V5.5 using the cookieless system and one of jim's templates - agree with keng, this was the easiest upgrade so far as many of the alterations I had added myself are now standard in VPASP which helps alot and Jims templates are a great starting point for a site redesign at the same time - use of cookieless requires some thought but in the long term I think will be worth it.

-- Chris

Go to Top of Page

candude
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - October 06 2004 :  20:29:44  Show Profile  Visit candude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keng,

I understand what you mean.. upgrade could take few min while redoing hard coding might take ages to re-apply.. that's why i have been reluctnant to upgrade... :) is it really that different - 5 to 5.5?

Alex

-----------------------
VP-ASP: Installation, Customization and Security
http://www.sublet.net/vpasp/
Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - October 12 2004 :  10:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

reluctnant to upgrade... :) is it really that different - 5 to 5.5?

Hi Candude,

Sorry for the delayed response. It's not really *that* different from 5.0. I would compare it with, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home. You know, they still quite"look" similar but you know that XP Pro is sort of an enhancement against XP Home. I hope my analogy make sense. But one reason I upgraded is because I think long term.

Can you imagine, I maintain, watch and update my website almost daily and there is no way I could catch up redoing them if I need to jump from one version to another? Say, version 5.0 to 6.0. It is definitely less hurtful to do it now, at least you're on top of everything. One good example is that, it has been an excuse for me to write down what I really hardcoded in 5.0 so when a future release comes out, I would know exactly what I will hard code again. But then again, you have to consider that I just started my shop this year so unlike other vpasp stores out there that has been for years.. it must be painful to hard code all of them.

But overall, although few fixes and updates are coming out with 5.50, I am still glad I upgraded because I find 5.5 more solid that 5.0 bec. of all corrections done with the version.

Go to Top of Page

wft
VP-CART New User

66 Posts

Posted - October 18 2004 :  22:01:54  Show Profile  Visit wft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keng : great analogy. for unix people, i think they enjoy the upgrade the most with cookieless features :-)

affordable vpasp templates/skins

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00