Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Adding products to more than one catagory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheFreak
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - August 31 2004 :  01:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to add products to more than one Main and Sub Catagory. My catalogue is split into various layers and some of the products overlap into several catagories, so instead of adding them twice can i add a product to several catagories at the same time.

I have had a look at the productcatagories table in the db and this looks to be some kind of index to let products know what they are associated with so i know that this is where i could fix it manually but is there a way to do this at the product adding stage as i will not be the end user when complete.

I hope that makes sense, it's first thing in the morning and my brain is still waking up.

Cheers
Richard

Edited by - TheFreak on August 31 2004 03:03:59

Alan F
VP-CART New User

102 Posts

Posted - August 31 2004 :  09:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Alan F's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Use the CTRL key when you click on the product category

This will highlight each category you want your product listed in

Alan
http://www.design365.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Dulrr
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - August 31 2004 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Dulrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Using the regular shop administration you can select multiple categories for a product by holding the [ctrl] or [shift] buttons while clicking on products in the list.

Using Access, you can make a fairly nice category lookup form. Open the Prodcategories table in Design view and turn intcategoryid and intcatalogid into combo boxes with two columns - ID number and name. Column count=2, bound column=1 (the ID numbers), then set the column widths to 0";2"; to make the form display names instead of numbers.

Now in the Products table (or form, if you have designed such) add the Prodcategories table as a subdatasheet. You will be able to view all the categories the product belongs in and add new categories with ease!
Because our store is set to lead a customer through layers of subcategories to get to what (s)he's looking for, I have modified the lookup of the categories column so that only categories with "hassubcategories" equal to 0 (False) are displayed in the drop list.

Hope this helps - if you want to play around with Microsoft Access more, the "UtterAccess" forum is a great place for answers.

~D

[edit]Curses! Foiled again! Somebody beat me to the answer!

Edited by - Dulrr on August 31 2004 09:10:34
Go to Top of Page

TheFreak
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - August 31 2004 :  09:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thanks for the feedback,

I was just talking to my friend about this issue and during the conversation i thought why don't i just ctrl click....i'll try that when i go home....and lo and behold you have confirmed my possible idea :)

thanks for the help guys, can't believe i didn't think of it before.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00