Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Change out of stock message
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - July 31 2004 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I change the out of stock message, "Quantity exceeds stock level (0" to "Sorry, I'm sold out today"

Thanks!

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - July 31 2004 :  20:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can change this directly in the shop administration by changing langstocklevel in the language table. These instructions are for VP-ASP 5.0, but I assume that similar steps apply for other versions:
1) login to your shop administration
2) click "Configure Shopping Cart"
3) click "Language"
4) click "Edit Language"
5) under "Select", pick "caption" and type "Quantity"
6) click the "Display" button
7) click "edit" beside "331 English langstocklevel Quantity exceeds stock level"
8) Change the caption, and click "Update Record"
9) Go back to the "Configure Shopping Cart" page and click "Reload Shop Configuration"

You might want to change the langstockchanged also while you are there.

There is an alternate way to do this by changing the default language file and then importing it into the table. There's a section of the Developer's manual that explains it.

Edited by - greatphoto on July 31 2004 21:23:41
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - July 31 2004 :  21:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Keng-

You might want to do some experimenting with this before you use the text you proposed. If your stock is low, but not actually sold out, langstocklevel will still be used if your shopper tries to buy more than you have in stock. For example, this same message will be used if the shopper tries to add 3 items to the cart when you only have 2 in stock. In that case, you don't want the message to be that you are sold out. I'm thinking about something like: "Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. This is how much we have:"

langstockchanged gets used on the cart display page if someone changes the quantity to be greater than the amount available. The cart attempts to reduce the quantity to match what is available and gives the langstockchanged to explain what it did. When I tried this just now, it seemed to work a little inconsistently so I'll need to go into the code later. For this one, I'm thinking about text like "Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. We've reduced the amount in your cart to match the stock level."

Edited by - greatphoto on August 01 2004 12:06:00
Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - August 01 2004 :  01:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Keng-

You might want to do some experimenting with this before you use the text you proposed. If your stock is low, but not actually sold out, langstocklevel will still be used if your shopper tries to buy more than you have in stock. For example, this same message will be used if the shopper tries to add 3 items to the cart when you only have 2 in stock. In that case, you don't want the message to be that you are sold out. I'm thinking about something like: "Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. This is how much we have:"

langstockchanged gets used on the cart display page if someone changes the quantity to be greater than the amount available. The attempts to reduce the quantity to match what is available and gives the langstockchanged to explain what it did. When I tried this just now, it seemed to work a little inconsistently so I'll need to go into the code later. For this one, I'm thinking about text like "Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. We've reduced the amount in your cart to match the stock level."

Thanks so much for your time answering my question. You're such a great help and it's appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

ah
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - August 24 2004 :  11:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I ran into the same situation and was able to fix it based on your tips. Thanks! I have another question though. Is there any way I can modify that "out of stock msg" page such as adding a form for customers to enter their contact information so that we can contact them immediately once the item becomes available? Or even it's just add a link on that page to lead the online shoppers to another page that has the form I created.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00