Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Dual Currency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 22 2004 :  03:42:37  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Does anybody use the dual currency feature?

I have configured vpasp (V5) to use dual currency with the primary being € (euro) and the secondary being £ (UKP).

The problem I'm having is adding the € and £ symbols to the relevant prices in the product and shopping cart.

Does anybody know of a way to do this please?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 22 2004 :  04:36:44  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we ended up bypassing the dual-ccy feature and using our own instead as we wanted to ultimately cater for more than 2 ccies and generally have more flexibility.

the key bits we changed were the shopformatcurrency function, and the mailing templates.

the key problems that we had to solve were translating the special characters back+forth, and we used:

' 1: Ccy ISO Code
' 2: Ccy Description
' 3: Ccy symbol (ascii number) (optional)
' 4: Ccy symbol (html code) (optional)

"GBP","UK-GBP",chr(163),"+#163;"
"USD","US-USD",chr(36),"+#36;"
"EUR","Euros",chr(128),"+#128;"
(replace + with & ; that's just in the forum message to avoid it turning into a real symbol)

and added a poplist with backend functions to swap ccies.

if you have a look at http://bigyellowzone.com/
you'll see the ccy poplist at the top.

That's what we did; hope it helps.

We'll be selling that as an addon at some stage because it also uses relevant exchange rate logic etc so you only need to store your prices in one ccy.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on May 22 2004 04:38:23
Go to Top of Page

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 23 2004 :  04:46:13  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strangley enough, my client did want 3 different currencies (£,€ and $). I may be interested in purchasing this ad-on. When will this be available?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 23 2004 :  09:30:16  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't give a definitive date for when it'll be released, but the core of its done/ready.

It's pretty much self-contained and plugs straight into the shopformatcurrency function and some other bits as a set of includes.

It stores the rate/settlement currency asat the time of each order, along with the amount in the base-ccy on the orders table.

We've just got a couple of things to finalise, and then we'll be packaging it up as a generic vpasp addon.

My guess would be that it'll be a week or 2 before it's ready for sale.

You can have as many ccies as you want, and you can choose 3 different "bases" (each "base" can be any of your ccies) -

1. exchange-rate base ccy
(ie the ccy that your exchange rate values are based-to)

2. storage-ccy
(ie the ccy that your amounts are stored in in the database)

3. default ccy
(ie the default ccy that shows in the poplist)

Then the ccy functions automatically translate/convert the amounts/symbols as appropriate.

The gateways are easily changed (you just change the gateway's ccy variable setting to our ccy-chosen variable, and add the convert function call to the gateway amount).

The key thing is that all the amounts stored in the database will be in your standard ccy, it's only the display aspects that do the conversion etc (and the rates/settlement-ccy are stored for information on the orders in extra unused fields). This means that you can continue to use accounting software on the vpasp data and reporting on orders through admin etc as if everything was in a single ccy.

I'll create a posting when it's ready for sale; if anyone else is interested in this, please let me know as that'd speed up the development process if we know there's people waiting to buy it.

You can either post on this forum, or our own forum:
http://bigyellowzone.com/forum/
or email direct.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - June 08 2004 :  10:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

We already have a multi currency addon available that allows your customers to choose the currency they want to diaplay the cart in.

Have a look at our site to view this working:

www.yourvirtualstore.net

Simply click on the Select Location link in the top orange bar and choose a currency.

You can download the addon from:

http://www.yourvirtualstore.net/rocksalt_v.5/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=13&cat=Paid+Add%2Dons

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net

Edited by - cam on June 08 2004 10:44:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic