Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Categories display error
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daniel70
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  11:54:11  Show Profile  Visit daniel70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
I'm in the process of getting my shopping cart and site all set up. I have added some categories and a couple products as well as made some basic modifications with the hear/footer files (color, insert my company header). Everything was working fine until this morning when all the sudden the links associated with "Shop", "View" and "Checkout" give me the following error: HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error. The diagnostics say my database is fine, and my admin section seems to be working ok. I even replaced shopdisplaycategories.asp with a new copy on the server and still get the error. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
www.3PoundUniverse.com/shopping

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  12:10:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you use netscape rather than internet explorer, that'll usually give you a more detailed error message showing you the file/line with the error in rather than the generic internet-explorer error pages.

sadly it doesn't seem to be the case here; error 500; could be a server-too-busy error, or a syntax/permission error; could be anything i think as it's just a generic "an error has occurred" message.

is there a file on your site (a global.asa) file which is repointing errors to the non-default error pages ?

just as a possible cause; how many category records do you have in total including subcats ? is it approaching 50 ? if you've got quite a few categories, try changing shopsess.asp, in the GetSessA function change temparray(100) to temparray(1000) - you may have run out of session array space; changing that will correct that problem.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on May 21 2004 12:17:04

Edited by - devshb on May 21 2004 12:20:23

Edited by - devshb on May 21 2004 12:46:23
Go to Top of Page

daniel70
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  13:07:02  Show Profile  Visit daniel70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately Netscape didn't return a specific line error either. As far as a globabl.asa file, I have not implemented one specifically, so unless there is something like that built in to the shopping cart software, that wouldn't be the case either. But I am not sure how I would check that...

I may have to wipe the shopping cart files and start fresh, since it did work originally. Ugh!

Edited by - daniel70 on May 21 2004 13:08:04
Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  13:32:32  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in internet explorer go to tools, then internet options, then click on the advanced tab then put a checkmark in the box that says "Show friendly HTTP error messages" then click ok and go back to the page that shows the error, then you will get a detailed error message which can be used to diagnose the problem.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  13:49:45  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i guess it must be your host that's using the error repointing; maybe they've put a global.asa in a root directory that you can't get access to.

i've set my internet explorer options as described above and it's still a generic error (and with netscape)

very difficult to say what the problem is without seeing the real message. you could have a word with your host and ask them why the true error messages don't show up; the global.asa file that comes with vpasp wouldn't screw that up as it doesn't do anything.

but, if the error started after you'd added a few new categories, i'd definitely look at the thing i mentioned:

try changing shopsess.asp, in the GetSessA function change temparray(100) to temparray(1000) - you may have run out of session array space in that function; changing that will correct that problem.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

daniel70
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  14:37:02  Show Profile  Visit daniel70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I talked with my host and they were able to get me back up and running! They said it was a software issue, where I had connections that weren't all closed in the code. Apparently, I need to go through and make sure all the connection queries are closed...not sure what that all entails. The modifications I made were quite minor, like changing color hex codes. Maybe it was the header I inserted. Whatever the initial cause, the idea of searching my code for open query connections sounds a bit out of my range of knowledge...perhaps it's not as bad as it sounds. Any idea what I might look for?

Thanks again - I really appreciate it!

Daniel

BTW - I only have about 25 category/subcat. entries now, but will probably enter more, so thanks for the tip.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  14:56:59  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oooh; that's a nasty problem!
some functions assume that a generic connection's already open and use that one, some functions pass across the connection as an argument and use that one, and some start a new connection altogether.

my guess would be that it's more likely that there's no connection being opened rather than that there's too many.

also, it might not be the connection; it might be the cursor as some hosts don't allow more than one cursor to be open at the same time even if they're read-only and on different tables.

my first reaction would be to look at what was changed/added in the header file (ie any calls to functions that use database stuff, such as category poplists etc) and check those functions to see what it's expecting to use as a database connection.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

daniel70
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Visit daniel70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh man!

Well, my header is a Flash file. It doesn't use the database - but there is a drop-down category menu that was included in the footer file. Maybe that is a database conflict on the pages that gave me an error? I can get rid of that in an attempt to keep the problem from re-occuring. Also there is a quick search text field. Maybe that is a curser issue? It doesn't actually start with a curser...

I'll try removing these things systematically and see what happens I guess.

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  16:19:51  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it's anything, it'll be the category poplist; the search field/button/form won't have any calls to the database at all until you press the go button and hence call another page.
let us all know how you get on.
good luck!

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

daniel70
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  11:57:09  Show Profile  Visit daniel70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After my host reset me, and I deleted the drop down cateory menu, it's been fine ever since! Thanks again for all your help.
Daniel

Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - December 16 2004 :  09:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I actually ran into the problem as well last night, but with clicking on "Edit" in the Products list and found that it had something to do with the ProdFeatures I had just added. Right now, I have 1218 records in my ProdFeatures Database and I can access the Product edit screen. I just added 5 more, and then I got the 500 error. I didn't enter any funky characters or anything... perhaps there is a max record limit or something? Does this make sense to anyone?

-Eric

Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - February 17 2005 :  10:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It turns out that there is a setting in configuration called "xproductquantitylimit" that puts a cap on the number of products you can have in your catalog. Not sure why this would need to be a setting at all, but increasing it solved my particular problem.

-EPseja

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00