Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 VP ASP & Google
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goalie35
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  08:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the client I'm building this site for is concerned with how the site is going to look, his #1 priority is getting one of the top google rankings. He's paying the company I work for a great deal of money to ensure that this happens.

My boss purchased the deluxe edition of vp asp which came with the options package to generate static html pages in the admin section. I've generated the html pages and this is where I have a question.

When I click on "create static html", it creates a subfolder consisting of the item name , description, and "buy item" link. The problem is that nothing else is displayed (price, image, ect.), which makes the page look rather dull. I suppose I could go in and edit all of the information to my liking but instead of that, what if I were to simply generate these static html pages, leave them in the subfolder, and continue to have my clients customers simply use the current dynamic pages for their shopping? How would google deal with this? Would it still find these pages? If the fact that they're not linked to the site is an issue, what if I were to create a secret little link to these pages through the "admin" section? This way google will still see a link to them and can grab the descriptions, etc., but the customers won't have to see the pages. Is this possible?

thanks in advance.

-Goalie35

Edited by - goalie35 on May 07 2004 09:22:24

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  13:20:55  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the html-generator uses a template for the product detail page; the trick is to basically try and make your html-generator template content almost the same as the product template. then, as far as your users are concerned, the html-generated detail pages will be no different to your normal product detail asp.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  22:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are multiple parts to Goalie35's questions. One aspect that I also wonder about is how to connect the static HTML to your site so the search engine crawlers/bots will find it. Does it need a link from your home page? If so, how do you present that link to your customers since you'd probably rather them follow your dynamic links.

I have heard that making a hidden link (say by making the text the same color as the background) is dangerous since search engines are getting more sophisticated at detecting this and are quick to blacklist you for this.

Nathan

Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 08 2004 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a site for people interested in Google, page rank and other web related stuff. This is a site that discusses changes in Google's algorithm and how to provide better search results.

http://www.webpronews.com

Greg

Go to Top of Page

printas
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Visit printas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't have to use the "create static html" feature of VPASP and was able to be index by Google, and place on page 1 for several of my keywords search.

What I did is divide my sites into two section basically, the company information sections and the shopping cart directory/site. On the company sections, that's where a lot of my important keywords are placed. In this directory/sections is where all the about us, products informations, faq, etc... is placed. And each page is optimized for Google search engine. On those pages, there are links to go to the shopping directory/section under the same domain name.

In addition, I build a themed-based-content-site on one of my major best selling product under a different domain name. This site has about 5 pages, but all pages is also optimized for Google engine; with all of my priority keywords. And this page will provide a link to my selling site (the real site). This site is also rank on the 1st page in Google. This site is not a back-door page; and therefore will not be panalized by Google or other search engines.

Go to Top of Page

jsbeads
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  14:15:11  Show Profile  Visit jsbeads's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google can find you dynamic store itmes, at least they do mine. It just does carry much weigh because each page has the same name. http://yourdomain/shop/shopdisplaywhatever.asp

If you create static pages, you have to have some sort of a link to them for google to find them. From your site map, is best.

As far as a hidden link (that can get you banned from google) or at best affect your ranking.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00