Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 Hacker Countries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goalie35
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - May 05 2004 :  07:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What countries will my site generally have hacker problems from?
In other words, what countries should I be setting my "xhackercountries" to?
thanks in advance.

-Goalie35

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 05 2004 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
even though that's a really good/key/relevant question, i think most people will be too scared to post a useful reply due to potential consequences if a hacker finds the posting!
i'd say ask yourself this question: where does most of your spam come from ?

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 06 2004 :  21:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the chat forum of Merchant 911, there are some postings on this topic with solid answers based on the experience of other merchants. You have to join the site to view the forum, but that is a good idea anyway since it represents a banding together of merchants to combat fraud and merchant account provider abuses.

http://www.merchant911.org/

Even so, I continue to debate the benefit of rejecting orders from IP addresses in certain countries. A true hacker will have no problem taking over a machine in another country such as the UK and using its IP address to fake his location. I guess we're just hoping most of the attacks will come from less sophisticated hackers.

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  16:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I am going to do is have a custom payment page, based on certain countries, where the only payment option is International Money Order. It will say something to the effect of "we apologize to our honest customers, but due to the high rate of credit card fraud in your country, we can only accept I'nat Money Orders as payment. Money Orders must be received prior to shipment."

Of course, this would require a customization, but there are plently of good programmers on this forum that could probably do the job for you.

Just an idea!

Jill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00